1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Explorer won't startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Burbinsky, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Burbinsky

Burbinsky Thread Starter

Having trouble starting up I Explorer. The only way I can get it to run (poorly) is to right click on the desktop icon and choose 'explore'. Then most screens will display very slowly and mostimes freezup. I have to use cntr,alt, del constantly. I did notice under system devices i have 2 direct memory access controllers with one of them yellowed. I removed it but doesn't help. Any ideas?

2. beach51

beach51

Hi Burbinsky,and welcome to TSG.Lets try the repair option for IE.Go to start>settings>control panel>add and remove programs>highlight IE and internet tools>click remove.The dialog box will appear,put a tick in repair ie>click ok.Have you cleaned out your temp files.Control panel>click on internet options>delete the temp files.

Let us know if this helps

3. Burbinsky

Burbinsky Thread Starter

Thanks Beach, appreciate the response. Unfortunately I've tried both of those with no fix. I just noted that whenever i click on the ie icon, i get the hourglass for a few seconds, it disappears, but nothing starts. If i then do a cntrl>alt>del, there will be another iexplore added to the list. What next????

4. beach51

beach51

Hi burbinsky,ok lets have a look at your startup programs.Go to Start>run>type in msinfo32 click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click on edit>select all,click edit,copy>then come back here and paste the page to your reply.

After you post the reply,go here for a free online virus scan,

http://www.housecall.antivirus.com

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Burbinsky,when you do the ctrl>alt>delete,is the the other explorer showing EXPLORER EXE.If it is you have a trojan called Dlder exe.Am not sure if housecall antivirus will remove this for you but run the scan anyway,if it doesnt we have the removeal instructions for you.

6. Burbinsky

Burbinsky Thread Starter

Thanks, here is the startup paste you requested; also under the cntrl>alt>del it will show an extra iexplore but not what you mentioned (explore.exe)

Hermes Messenger Startup Group "C:\Program Files\DGDR Hermes\DGDR Hermes.exe"
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    msbb Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EACCELERATION\MSBB.EXE
    mdac_runonce Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\runonce.exe
    TimeSink Ad Client Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\TimeSink\AdGateway\TSADBOT.EXE"
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    Eac_Download Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EACCELERATION\DOWNLOAD.EXE -k
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    webHancer Agent Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whAgent.exe"
    WinampAgent Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPa.exe"

7. beach51

beach51

Ok,your have a few spyware componnets on your system.Go to Start>run>type in msconfig Click ok.Click on the startup tab and remove the check marks next to,

Msbb
    Timesink
    Webhancer

Remove one at a time,click apply then ok,reboot after each one.Once you do that go to the control panel>add and remove programs,let me know if any of them are in there.If you find them there also,remove them the same way one at a time and reboot,after each one.

Now go and download a free program called Ad-aware5.6.This program will scan your computer for other spyware componnets and remove them for you.Once you download this program also download the lastest signature file,and unpack it to the Ad-aware folder.Now run the scan,making sure all the boxs in the left pane are checked.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

8. Burbinsky

Burbinsky Thread Starter

Sorry, where do i unclick the check marks. There is no place like that under the microsoft system info screen. Or are you talking about the add/remove screen?

9. Burbinsky

Burbinsky Thread Starter

Double sorry. I found it. Please disregard the last post!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just to verify, you are running msconfig to disable startup items, not msinfo32...

Also, once you are done removing the spyware (or even before), you should run regedit and navigate to

HKey_Local_Machine
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion

Look in both the RUN and RunOnce keys for:

mdac_runonce Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\runonce.exe

Right click on it in the right hand pane and delete. This is supposed to be in the RunOnce folder and disappear after execution. But in some cases it doesn't, usually because it gets misplaced in the RUN folder instead.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice