I Fear I have done a very bad Thing in Regedit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mr_Cat_Poop

I have been looking for a way to make my computer secure from people messing around with it at the office. Sooo... I got some advice from the forum and tried this...

"Option 3: To force users to logon and disable cancel (default) log on,

1) Click Start--Run--type Regedit and click ok.

2) Go to, and open, the

HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Run key.

3) In the right-side pane, right-click, and create a new string value called NoDefLog (it could be another name if you wish).

4) Doubleclick on this new key and enter the following string (exactly)

rundll.exe user.exe,EXITWINDOWS

5) Close Regedit."

"What this does is set up a situation for the Default User, which is what you are if you hit Cancel at logon (on the windows login box) where they are immediately exited from Windows. When a new user is created, by typing in a new username in the logon prompt box at logon, they inherit this key, which will cause them to be exited from windows also"

Ok, I did that but I didn't do this part:

"The only thing to be aware of on this is that if you are actually maintaining a multi-user system (profiles), then you want to remove the above registry key/entry temporarily before creating the new user."

Well, anyway when I was going through Regedit, I noticed on my Win 98SE, that when I got to the Run key, my run key said "Runonce". Well it bothered me and when I finished the work in Regedit and rebooted, sure enough, windows exited when I tested this tweak by clicking "cancel" when the "Password" dialog box showed up. I then decided to test it again this time with a bogus passwork and then clicked "cancel" and to my bitter disappointment, I got passed my own security with flying colors.

Ok, here comes the bad thing. I got to thinking that the Runonce key in my Regedit, must be misnamed, so I renamed it Run and tried the above proceedure again. Now, no matter what I do at the password prompt, if I put in the right password, if I try to cancel, if I fake a password, whatever, windows exits.

In desperation, I went into BIOS and disabled the password. I was able to get into windows safe mode and changed back the goofy changes I made, but windows will not run in regular mode.

I am now in need of good advice.

Hi Mr_Cat_Poop,
I hope you backed up the registry before you did this! Anyway if you can get to a DOS prompt, type in scanreg /restore, then hit enter. It should prompt you for a previos registry backup.

Bryan

Bryan
Restore a backup of the registry like TW suggested. W98 automatically keeps a rolling 5 day backup for you. Once that's done, let us know what you use as a "Primary Network Logon".

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Network. What's selected under "Primary Network Logon"?

An easier way to accomplish what you originally set out to do would be to simply put a short-cut to a (password-protected) screensaver into your StartUp folder.
Of course, anyone who knows enough to drop to DOS and delete/move the shortcut can still get into your computer, but these days this will still exclude at least 90% of users.

Max19

Account Disabled
Your RunOnce registry key is not misnamed. It is exactly as it should be. A word of advice, don't mess at all with your registry if you don't know what you're doing. Fortunately in this case your computer still functions. If you had renamed a different key, you would be spending today reinstalling everything on your computer.

Bryan

Bryan
While I understand the general warning, assuming anyone is running W98 or better, a simple two minute scanreg /restore will undo any changes made so I wouldn't suggest anyone become altogether fearful of editing the registry. As long as you get good advise on what to edit, you'll be fine and eventually you'll learn what to change and what not to change.

Max19

Account Disabled
That's all fine and dandy if you have a backup to restore to. I would never tell anyone to make ANY changes to their system (registry, software installation, software removal, etc.) without backing up ALL data including the registry. Don't assume people will have registry backups.

Bryan

Bryan
Max I learned a long time ago to never assume anything but thanks for the advice anyway.

As far as a registry backups, W98 and Windows ME create a rolling 5 day backup of the registry for you at each startup. So as I mentioned earlier, if your running W98 or better, your fine.

As far as always backing up everything before ANY changes, that's fine if that's what you want to do. There's nothing wrong with that but personally I make a call on a backup based on what I'm having them change. Not all changes require a backup.

And as always, I suggest everyone keep a backup of any data that's important to them regardless of whether your making changes or not.

Mr_Cat_Poop

Thanks to all

Mr_Cat_Poop is outta the litter box and flying high!
and I have humbly learned my lesson...for a while at least. (It's hard to resist all those cool regedits thingys and msconfig stuff.

btw Bryan my "Primary Network Logon" sez "Windows logon"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online