1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I feel guilty for wanting a new computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zexico22, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zexico22

zexico22 Thread Starter

I know this sounds strange, but i bought a brand new Asus Notebook k450J 7 months ago. It's a good computer, but that Windows 8 (and 8.1) was a major disappointment. (I may be over sensitive, but I considered removing the taskbar menu and adding those stupid tiles, utterly disrespectful for owners of non-touch screen laptops:mad:). This got me thinking about alternative operating systems specially OS X and GNU/Linux. I tried several GNU/Linux Distros on Virtual Box, and although I find them interesting, that operating system is too complicated. I have rarely used Mac and I always liked it, but never bought it because Windows made me feel right at home, but things changed...Anyway, so I searched more about mac, and I got very interested in it, specially the simplicity, design, performance and reliability(y).
    So I started to fantasize about buying, owning and using a Macbook and felt guilty because I had just bought a new laptop. (It has been a long time since I was so interested in a new computer). Am I out of my freaking mind????

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have moved to the hardware forum

if you have the funds available and spare (by which I mean , not going into debt)
    then why not change to a new PC

with regards to 8/8.1
    if you set-it up to start onto the desktop and use the desktop programs

you then never need to use the tiles at all

then usually my clients have no issue with changing from XP/Vista/W7 to windows 8/8.1
    and I set-up to use just the desktop and in some instances will install
    classic shell
    http://www.classicshell.net/
    Although I tend to avoid that as much as possible - only because , I would not want a windows update to cause an issue using classic shell and then I have to resolve the issue

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

After disliking win8/8.1 since it was released, I gave the updated ver another try AND I am getting used to it. While a little different, it is a very fast and stable os. With a modern ssd, it is 6 seconds from the time POST completes to the login.

Have you tried classic shell? If not, give it a try. You can make win8.1 look like any os you want; even xp.

BTW I use linux for a lot of things and hands down linux mint is the distro I use every day. It just works.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 7 is supported until January 2020, but I'm thinking ahead and preparing for when it no longer is.

Windows 10 will be released this summer or in the fall, so I've been playing with and getting used to its preview version.

Several of my frequently-used programs and apps are pinned to the taskbar so I can quickly locate and load them.

As time passes, I'm sure that I'll find other ways to make it easier to use and navigate through.

etaf and crjdriver gave you good advice about Classic Shell 4.2.1 to make Windows 8 look more like Windows 7 or earlier versions.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. strollin

strollin

As long as you don't have dependents who will starve or something because you used money needed to buy food or pay rent in order to buy the new computer, there is no need for guilt.

As far as 8.1, the Start screen you describe not liking is strictly optional so if you don't like it, don't use it. Set your machine to boot direct to the desktop and you never need to see the Start screen. If you're someone who absolutely can't use a Windows computer without a Start menu then install Classic Shell as suggested.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!