1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I feel like a dummy!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brutuswon, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brutuswon

brutuswon Thread Starter

I have mp3s on a hard drive that I can't delete. I'm running XP Pro on an NTFS drive. I had encrypted the contents of the hard drive, then unencrypted them to compress it.

Of the ten files on this album, six are still blue (telling me they're still compressed. Of course, when I try to uncompress them at the folder level by right clicking on the folder -> properties -> advanced, both the compress and encrypt boxes are clear. If I check the compress box, then the Apply button, it compresses the other four files. Reversing the process just uncompresses the same four.

Right clicking on any of the remaining six files locks up explorer.

I have even tried to un -r them (change the read only attribute) from the folder view. I have tried to copy over them with a fresh (virgin) copy.

The error I get when I try to change the read only attribute is:
    Error Applying Attributes:
    An error ocurred applying attributes to the file:
    D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ARCHIVED FILES\My Music\LOUNGE\Buddha-Bar\Buddha Bar II 2000\Buddha-Bar II - (CD1 - Dinner 2) (by Claude Challe) (2000)\01 - Trumpet Thing - Need You (Right Now) [Ambient Mix].mp3
    Access is denied

The error I get when I try to delete the whole directory is:
    Cannot delete 01 - Tru~1.mp3: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

When I try to play the file, musicMatch says:
    D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ARCHIVED FILES\My Music\LOUNGE\Buddha-Bar\Buddha Bar II 2000\Buddha-Bar II - (CD1 - Dinner 2) (by Claude Challe) (2000)\01 - Trumpet Thing - Need You (Right Now) [Ambient Mix].mp3 could not be found

Presuming that these files are not really there, I opened Norton Utilities and ran their version of chkdsk (Disk Doctor). For good measure, I optimized (defragmented) the drive. I ran Viruscan and even two spyware programs on the drive. Everything checked out clean [eventually :eek: ]. The problem remains: I can't delete the files and I can't use them. Help?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The file name is the problem I believe.

Apart from having an unbelievably long filename (approaching the maximum allowed) it has the "\" character in it inappropriately which means its "appearing to be" in another directory in my view.

(2000)\01
    This one I suspect should not be there, its saying its in another \01 directory.

Please be very careful about the use of characters in filenames. Never use punctuation or slashes.

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

also if it really is a file problem you can delete them using other operating systems or with dos (needs ntfs support). my best guess if is you know linux use captive ntfs and wish and hope you can successfully write to the volume (in this case ur xp's ntfs partition). the easiest would be linux way. the safest would be usinga dos bootdisk with ntfs support.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice