1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i forgot my admin password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dotblack, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

how can i find out my admin password without deleting all my files and stuff in my computer?btw its windows 2000 :D

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

First I recommend trying a blank password.

But if that doesn't work, there is a boot disk you can download at:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
    times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

To prevent this in the future, you might consider setting up a least two accounts that have local admin rights.

3. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

thank you i'll try that

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Or if you have another account with administrator privileges, just reset the password with that account.

I wonder what people would do if they forgot their phone number or street address?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That is certainly one change XP has from Windows2000. It forces you to create at least one additional account. With Windows2000, it is very easy just to leave it just the single administrator account.

6. Squashman

I agree Bob.

7. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

How does XP force you to create an additional account? I only have one account (adminstrator).

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Boot into safe mode. :)

9. lilhomie10

lilhomie10

Does this reset the admin password for your computer or the network?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are referring to the link I first posted, it lets you reset any local user account's password. It does not reset any other password that may be on another computer.

11. Squashman

Sounds like someone is trying to hack someones network.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It sounded like a valid question. For example, if you change a local account's password, it would be good to realize that you are not changing that account's password on something like a networked server. Seen many folks change one but not the other and then not have access. Guess I'm not that quick to assume negative intentions.

13. Squashman

That is just the way I am Bob. All my technology classes I took in school had network security builtin to them. I am always Paranoid about that stuff. I started doing some consulting on the side for small businesses and you wouldn't believe how insecure their network are.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Guess I'm still not sure why the presumtion of dishonesty.

Maybe starting a separate thread for why this is generally a good assumption would allow it to be discussed further. Haven't seen anything like this from any of the administrators so far.

15. soccertroy5

soccertroy5

hey anybody out there, have any ideas to get into my computer? it is windwows 2000 and i forgot my password for the only administrator account. i am a controlling christian colege, and i cant download stuff, because they block everything! i need help! i have projects on there! any ideas of anything i can do without downloading something or visiting most websites? please help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/418711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice