1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I found a solution for XP wireless disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gotrootdude, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotrootdude

gotrootdude Thread Starter

Feb 19, 2003
    I always though XP was kinda broken because it would suffer intermediate wireless network disconnections. This was very irritating when you were downloading a file only to have XP disconnect you in the middle. Anyway, here's a fix.

"Wireless FiXP"
    Geoff van den Ouden - 11/20/04

Wireless FiXP is a simple command line tool that enables the 'Wireless Zero Configuration Service' under Windows XP, waits for a connection and then again disables the service.

This tool has been developed since a lot of XP users have sudden disconnects when using a WiFi device. Although disabling this service usually solves the problem, a lot of people found out that on reboot they had to enable the service again to connect to their network. After that they had to disable the service again, because of the sudden disconnects.

Just put the 'Wireless FiXP.exe' wherever you like and right click on it and select 'Create shortcut'. Place the shortcut in the startup-folder of the 'Start Menu'. section in Windows. This is usually located in

C:\Documents and Settings\\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you want to enable it for all users on that machine, you can usually place it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    An even easier and better way is to use the utility that comes with your wireless adaptor, and tell WZC to go away permanently.
  3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Jan 17, 2003
    I find that usiing the WZC rather than 3rd party softwae to manage wireless connection fixes the random disconnect problem . .
  4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Apr 4, 2003
    The Intel Utility works fine for me. I can't say that I have ever experienced intermediate disconnections.
  5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    I think the real key is to use either the 'Wireless Zero Configuration Service' or the adapter's software, not both.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/379051