1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I give up--Network Printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by buf, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Home PCs(2 of 'em) running win98SE on both using DSL and an HP 720C printer that only the PC which is attached to the printer will print( this PC is shared in Network Neighborhood)--other one will not. Have tried and tried to get this to work but thus far am unable. The PC that will not print is a new PC that I have not been able to setup this feature on yet.
    There "could be" a similarity with the post by nothingface below.
    I will appreciate any help you wll give.

2. raz

raz

just a quick thought - have you set up the printer so that it is a shared printer

check print properties on comp 1 and make sure it is shared in the printer control panel (blue hand icon under the printer concerned) then see if comp2 detect it.

Let me know
    Raz

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Raz, thanks for your response. Yes, the printer is shown as shared on Computer 1 and it is shared as "HP" on both computers. Not sure by what you mean when you said "see if comp2 detects it". If you mean by the name HP, then yes it does.
    I have had the printer shared before BUT it was with the PC that replaced the 2137 E26. In other words, with the same computers shown in my signature below only now, I no longer use the 2137 and the 2171545 has taken it's place and the new computer is the one that I am having the trouble :mad: :confused:

4. buf

buf Thread Starter

Now this is strange!! I can now print with the new PC but I have to use a different set of drivers. I have HP DeskJet 720C Series as the default printer. The computer that has the HP directly connected to it is using HP DeskJet 720C Seriesv10.3. I think the driver I am using is 10.0--the driver that was originally installed on the printer when I bought it newabout 5 years ago.
    Also, I cannot print any c/p from notepad!! I CAN print c/p from the other machine!!!:p
    Maybe I should try to find and download/install the newer driver on the new machine. Do you think that will straighten out this problem? Right now, this seems to be an answer to me. I am looking/listening for your input please.

5. Del

Del

Did you run the HP setup c.d. on the computer that does not print? I have the same thing. It's connected to a win me machine and I had to install the software on my xp machine and then set it up as a network computer after.

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Del thanks. I did not run the printer CD on the new computer. It seems strange that would need to be done since the printer is connected to the other computer. Now XP just might offer more support for such things but I really don't know. I am not opposed to using the printer's original CD on the new machine.
    I just found and downloaded the 10.3 drivers, started to install them and I got the message that they were already installed. If they are then they must be showing in the printer the other HP printer that I have listed in the printer folder. Even so, it is not currectly marked as my default printer. I am :confused: , as usual.

Naw, I am more than confused. I just checked my programs and the printer is shown as installed so I must have run the CD but son of a gun I don't recall doing it!! Guess you can tell that I am more than frustrated.

7. Del

Del

Go to control panel and printers. Double click on Add Printer. Click next then select Network Printer and follow the prompts.
    My HP is on the Win ME machine and I'm on XP. I use the printer all the time. Works fine.

8. buf

buf Thread Starter

:D Del:
    Got what I wanted and many thanks to you and others who offered help.
    I did exactly what your last post said to do(had done it earlier this evening and that printer installation is still in the printer folder) BUT this time, I accepted all defaults (just as I did before) EXCEPT the one question dealing with this: Do you want your windows based programs to use this printer as the default printer? The default was NO and I chose YES. Now the printer works as it should from both computers. Accepting defaults in NOT always the thing to do!! :p
    Many thanks again.

9. Del

Del

Great, glad I could help.
    Have a great night.

10. buf

buf Thread Starter

UH OH. The printer problem is bac:mad: :mad:
    Both computers were able to print UNTIL today. It seems that as long as the printer connected PC is on, I have no problem on the other(new)PC. Turn it off and my printing ability stops. In fact, a message popped up when the printer connected PC(#1) was turned off: There are 1 user connected to your computer. Shutting down your computer will disconnect them. Do you want to continue YES NO I chose YES and printing from the other PC(#2 the new PC) ceased. I have not been able to find the problem yet.
    Suppose I did this: Totally Add/Remove the printer software from BOTH machines and then re-install the printer on #1 and then install the downloaded updated drivers and after satisfying myself that it is working THEN install the printer on #2 and install ALL options, defaults; etc just like the #1. I have the Original printer CD.
    I'll wait for your input before doing this. If you feel there is nothing to be gained, there is no need in wasting time. TIA

11. Del

Del

You're networking the printer thru the other computer. You have to leave the computer on that the printer is attached to or you can't print.
    And don't think of getting a router with a printer port. The XP machine will work with it, but Win 98 and Win ME won't. Tried that with the 720 myself.
    You'll just have to make sure the machine with the printer is on when you want to print.

12. buf

buf Thread Starter

Everyone, I think I am suffering from computer burn out:eek:
    I KNOW that the "host" computer has to be on in order for me to print from my new machine!!:eek: :eek: Don't know what I was thinking or have been thinking. Senior moments are happening more and more frequently these days.
    I have just now found that the wrong port was identified for and being used for the new PC to print to. I corrected that but I still do not know how that ever came to be. Oh well, if I ever learn these machines and their "ways" then I won't be asking questions--I'll telling you answers. I hope this is the real ending to this problem. And many thanks again your your help/input.

13. Del

Del

Glad that's solved, have a great night.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice