1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I got a new computer and I try to copy favorites and

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tomrooster, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomrooster

tomrooster Thread Starter

I got a new computer and I try to copy favorites and flolders to a cd in outlook express to move them from the old to the new computer and I keep getting the message [cannot create or replace access denied] I don't have to log in to use this computer and I never setup up a password and it is set for only one user and I am the only user. Thanks for any help, Tom

2. Swiper

Swiper

perhaps you need to explain what it is you are trying to do

saving / backing up favorites usually relates to Internet Explorer, not Outlook Express
    are you trying to backup favorites and your email address info, mailboxes and address book info or something ??

3. tomrooster

I try to copy favorites and flolders to a cd in outlook express to move them from the old to the new computer

4. tomrooster

favorites in Explorer and folders in outlook express

5. tomrooster

I try to copy favorites in Explorer and flolders in Outlook Express to a cd to move them from the old computer to the new computer. sorry. Tom

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Favorites are different than your Outlook Express files.

Favorites can be copied to \windows

Your Outlook Express files need to go wherever the current installation is using. But you need to close Outlook Express first. Then you also need to make the files copied to be not read only.

7. Swiper

Swiper

To save your favorites for Interenet Explorer:

Open up Internet Explorer
    Click on File, Import and Export,
    you should be prompted with a "wizard"
    go through choosing / export favorites and provide it with a location to ' save it to "

Saving Outlook express messages/folders is another ball of string however

Once you get your IE favorites saved, come back and I get you instructions on how to save your messages from Outlook Express

8. beefy

beefy

9. Swiper

Swiper

10. tomrooster

Swiper, when I try to export favorites going by your instructions I get a message [unable to export favorites] when I try to do Outlook folders using Microsofts instructions suggested by Beefy I go through all the steps and nothing happens. Tom

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For the favorites, since most times they will easily fit on a floppy, what happens if you just copy them to a floppy and then copy them for there to the new computer? With Win9x they are in the \windows\favorites directory.

12. tomrooster

Bob, The new computer dosen't have a floppy but I'll try to see if it works. Tom

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can copy the same folder to a CD and then copy it to the new computer. Will likely need to also make the favorites not read only after you copy them from the CD.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!