1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I guess I need CSS skils?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Temagami, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

Hey all,

What do you think of this colour scheme etc?

http://thompson.kingpinhosting.com/back/

You see that black bar on the bottom? - how do I align it right on the bottom and not have a little border around it? It also looks different in Explorer and Firefox.

What do I need to do and how do I do it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

First, you've got some HTML issues to deal with.

Did you want that black bar at the complete bottom of the area with the black border and taking the full width of the area of the black border?

Peace...

3. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

Ya - I wnat it right on the bottom completely flush with the table - so you can't even see any lines or anything.

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

fishies! ^_^

5. tomdkat

Ok, I came up with something that works but you'll have to figure out how to best integrate in your current page. You really should ditch the tables for layout and go with a CSS layout instead. That would make things far more simple.

In any event, here are the HTML changes I made:
    Code:
    <table width="799" height="[b][color=red]620[/color][/b]" align="center" bordercolor="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" style="border:1px solid black;" [b][color=red] cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"[/color][/b]>

Code:
              </tr>
            </tbody>
          </table>
    [b][color=red]      </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td style="background-image: url(index_files/foot0000.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;">&nbsp;[/color][/b]</td>
        </tr>
      </tbody>
    </table>

Instead of putting the footer image directly below the table with the thumbnails, I put the footer image in a new row under that table and set the table background to be the footer image. The rest, I'll leave up to you. Attached is a screenshot of the above changes in action. :)

Peace...

Attached Files:

6. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

You're a life saver Tom!

Ahh a lot of it was the cell padding which I forgot to put in. I tried copying and pasting your code but something didn't mesh so I did what you explained and it worked!! You are awesome!! Thanks TomDKat!

Now all I have to figure out is how to do the same thing on the top for my header. I hope to put a flah header in there but I want it tight to the top. So I should try to drop another table in - then set all the cell padding to "0" and that should do it?

The other thing I've just set up on that page (but you can't see) - is a split to the main table. I added another column to the right where I'm going to add a small Japanese flag 'coming out' of the main window (it's a Japanese company) - I hope it looks good.

I'm also using that lightbox java script and on one version of explorer it has nav bars!!! I tried to fix it according to the instruction on the lightbox website and it worked; but not for ONE version of explorer.
    Man, I HATE explorer!!!

I know what you are saying with CSS - I'm going to have to learn it but I guess what I need is a bunch of blank layouts - like the one I'm working on with no content in it (just the background and centre window) then I can see what goes in there and pick it apart. CSS can manage tables too eh? I'll try it on the next project,

7. tomdkat

Personally, I wouldn't. I would use this as an opportunity to drop using tables for page layout and switch to a CSS page layout. If you want to stick with tables, I wish you luck. :)

CSS can be used to style any element on a web page. You should take a close look at the various CSS layouts at CSS Play to see the various kinds of things CSS can do. :)

Peace...

8. Temagami

Temagami Thread Starter

I'm looking at that link you gave me right now.... damn, I just need someone to sit down with me for about 30 minutes and take me through the basics and I'm off to the races.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice