I guess I'm dumber than a trained pig

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coderitr

Now that I've got your attention ... :D

I was reading Dr. Emilio Bombay's online column today and ran across an article where someone asked about combining / resizing partitions in Windows. This is an excerpt from his response:

Now go buy a copy of Partition Magic (www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/), which will make combining those two chunks of your hard drive a breeze. And to all you geeks out there who are just about to fire off snarky e-mails about how even a trained pig knows there are disk-management tools in Windows that allow you to monkey with partition size: Just shut up. This poor schlub would wind up killing all his programs and data. Partition Magic is about all he can handle. Me, too, for that matter.
Yes, he's a smart-aleck (cleaned up for our younger participants) and that's generally why I read his column. It's often funny.

My question is, what is he talking about? I've never seen anything built into Windows by which I can resize a partition without destroying existing data. Have I missed something?

Thanks

[Edit]
Oops, like a newbie I forgot to include my system specs:

120GB SATA hard drive partitioned as C: = 20GB; D: = remainder
Intel P4 2.8 gHz
256 MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition
[/Edit]

MysticEyes

Banned
I've never seen anything built into Windows by which I can resize a partition without destroying existing data.
I assume that's what he's saying... it can't be done.

crjdriver

You cannot resize partitions with disk management. You can create a partition in unallocated space and format, however that is not resizing your partition

I do all partitioning from win2k / xp setup so I cannot recommend any third party app.

......and, when it formats you are losing that data there. For me too, PM8 is one tool to use that, having a user-friendly interface makes this particular task easy to do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online