1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I had no sound device, but..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rachelbree, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rachelbree

rachelbree Thread Starter

Well it all started back in July when my computer crashed. It randomly went in to DOS mode, and the screen was black with all this weird writing. 5 months later I finally got my computer fixed, I was lucky enough for the computer guy to be able to transfer all my things onto a new harddrive, which I think is what he put in the computer. Before my computer crashed I had sound and everything, but after I got my computer back I have no sound now..I've tried everything to fix it. And I finally got the yellow ! to go away, since I downloaded Realtek Audio. But when I open the Volume controller, I can't configure the sound of my PC speakers, cos its grey. So I can't move anything.

Does anyone know what I should do? I have my sound device back on, but I can't get the sound to come out of my speakers. My speakers are inside my monitor.

2. pirky

pirky

I am not sure if this will help you But I had the same thing happen after my seventh or was it tenth crash ,But anyway You will most likly have to go to the manufactor of your pc and download the sound file for the motherboard you have . I had to go to Gateway. After you download the file you will be able to work your sound controls.
    Hope this helps.

3. rachelbree

I'm not sure what kind of computer I have though. My mom's friend gave us this computer back when i was 10 years old. I'm 18 now. But the computer I have is a AMD Athlon (tm) Processor. I right clicked on my computer and clicked on properties and thats what showed up. I downloaded the Realtek AC97 audio driver, and I got my audio device back, but when I go to turn on the Volume Controls, it says my PC speaker isnt there or something, I don't know how to get it to turn on.

I'm not real good with computers, but if you give me something to read, I could fix it from there...any advice would be great too.

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello in the audio and sound tab in control panel can you move the slider ?

Have you selected your card from the drop down box ??

5. rachelbree

Yeah I can move everything. And before I downloaded the Realtek device, when I'd open my iTunes it said something about how it wouldn't work properly cos of something wrong with my audio device. But after I downloaded Realtek, it works properly I just don't get any sound. I mean everything seems to be okay, and set up perfectly, just nothing comes out of my monitor speakers.

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia->Audio->"Realtek .Volume and look for mute or low sound settings.

If you plug headphones in have you any sound ??

7. pirky

pirky

I may be looking at this wrong but I can't help but think the driver may not be signed

8. rachelbree

I did what blackmirror told me to do, and all my sound settings are up, even the volume on my monitor is up. When I went to change the Volume settings I could change everything but the column that says "PC speakers" so I don't really know what that means, its like shaded gray, and I can't move any thing under it. And I also tried plugging in my headphones, and I didn't hear anything come out of that either...so I dont know what to do.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!