I hate iTunes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lola2001

I can't even begin to tell you how much I HATE iTunes. Unfortunately I don't know what I can replace it with.

I download WMA files and then open add them to the stupid library and it automatically converts them to MP3. So easy yet so hard.

I've done this a couple time already and it worked fine but now I don't see the files I just added and I don't know where the new mp3 files are located. I searched the hard drive but I don't know what this stupid program called them.

I'm very frustrated. Can someone either tell me where the hell my files are or another free program I can use to do the same thing, with much less hassle?

Thanks.

Oh....and one more thing. If you remove songs from the Library in iTunes, does it delete your songs because it asks if it should send them to the recycle bin.

How could you hate itunes, i think it's great.
But anyway, on windows XP the new mp3 files should be located at C:\Documents and Settings\*****\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music with the ***** being your user name, and itunes only deletes your songs from the directory listed above if you click "move to recycle bin", but if you don't it will keep the songs in that directory. If you are worried about it deleting your wma songs, i seriously doubt that it will, because itunes will only read the converted tracks instead of the wma's i am pretty sure.

Windows media player is okay, musicmatch is a joke, and real media player lookes like it has too many ads and seems to me like every second they want you to buy a song from their store or upgrade to plus or anything else they can bump money off of you.

Itunes is not perfect, but it seems to me to be the most obvious choice for free (and charged) music player

lola2001

I'm using windows 2000 but there is nothing in that folder you suggest. I don't buy music from iTunes. I download it elsewhere, but it is in WMA format. I only downloaded iTunes because it converts WMA to MP3 so I can play the file in my car.

In iTunes there appears to be a place where you can specify your SAVE folder and I have done that but I still can't find my MP3 files that just got converted. I must have added them to the stupid library at least five times and they are not in the library nor saved elsewhere....that I can find anyway.

I use Real Player to listen on my computer. I like it the best. Unfortunately it doesn't convert the WMA to MP3 otherwise I would uninstall iTunes.

If that is all that you are looking for, then i think you could look into musicmatch jukebox software (use it to convert, or to rip, the rest of the software is total crap) or use nero media player, i don't know if it is free, i got it with my cdburner.
BTW, i think your itunes is screwed up, if the files are not in those folders, it must have come across some sort of error, do the "converted files" play in your itunes library?

lola2001

Yes, I do have music match, it came with my MP3 player but I didn't like it so in un-installed it. It's probably better than iTunes though.

I can't play my file that I just converted because it's not in the library.....I have no idea where it is.

Yeah, itunes will occasionally do things like that, like say that it is done encoding/converting when it hasn't even started

cwwozniak

Chuck
FWIW, If you are running Windows, Winamp with the ml_ipod plug-in may be a good way to avoid using iTunes. This combination seems to be doing a fairly good job for my daughter wtih her new iPod Video and the family's new notebook computer. She is mostly ripping CD tracks to the iPod (a two step process; rip to AAC file on hard drive and then transfer to iPod). As far as I know, it will also work with mp3 files. The free version of Winamp limits CD ripping to a 2X max speed and ml_ipod is donationware.

I also gained a great dislike for iTunes a while ago. My wife installed iTunes on the XP box she uses most of time. I later found out iTunes broke the CD burning software that I normally used on the computer. Repairing that software broke iTunes burning CD's when my wife used it. I vowed to avoid putinng any of the iTunes software on the new notebook at all costs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online