I hate my CD Burner!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chaos4001

I have an HP computer, running Win XP, with 128 Mb Ram. (Not my main comp, but...)
The CD burner in it no longer works. It used to, but now, whenever you put in a CD, it doesnt realize that it's there. So is there a way to fix this apparently broken drive, or do I need a new CD burner?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That depends. Does the drive work for anything, like reading?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Does the drive appear in My Computer? Have you checked in Device Manager to see if there are any errors associated with the drive?

chaos4001

Yes, the drive appears in my computer, and no, there are not any errors associated with it in Device Manager. That's why this problem has me stumped.

I'd try uninstalling the driver, through the device manager, reboot, let windows detect "new hardware", and let windows install the driver. If that doesn't work, post back, and we'll probably come up with more ideas.
Good luck!

steppenwolf

Banned
emoxley said:
I'd try uninstalling the driver, through the device manager, reboot, let windows detect "new hardware", and let windows install the driver. If that doesn't work, post back, and we'll probably come up with more ideas.
Good luck!

the driver?

id delete the whole thing in device manager and see if it detects it when it reboots and or see if cable came lose inside the computer which it probably didnt and or try out the drive on another computer or try varoius discs

sometimes maybe i played a dvd and it always searched for that one disc

chaos4001

Well, when I said I deleted the driver thats what I meant. I dont have a spare comp to test it in, and the cable seems fine (though I dont open my comp too much so...) unless someone come up with some brilliant idea, I'm just buying a new one. I'm sick of not being able to burn CDs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.