1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I HAVE 32GB MEMORY, BUT COMPUTER IS QUITE SLOW

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rickster123, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickster123

Rickster123 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to address the problem I have with the speed of my computer, but since I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I figured "why not?"... but please let me know if a different forum is better.

I'm not a "techy" person, but I do know that my computer has an i7 processor with 32GB of memory (also 2TB of space) and everyone tells me that it should move from screen to screen, application to application like at lightening-speed! Unfortunately, and even when I used Windows 7, the speed just isn't there and it's as slow as any other computer with just 4 or 8GB of memory.

I called our local Computer repair shop and they said that I need to totally clean out my ENTIRE system, which means backing up all files AND removing all programs and doing a total re-install of everything.

Could someone suggest some alternatives that may fix my problem without my having to wipe my computer totally clean to the point of there being ZERO in it and then re-installing programs, files, etc? Also, would this mean that I also have to delete my Windows 10 that I just upgraded for free? I'm not sure how I would even re-install Windows 10 given that it was a free upload and I have no actual disk or ANYTHING for it??

I hope someone can PLEASE suggest a very effective solution that enables me to avoid (especially) removing programs, as I am not even sure that I still have all of the original installation disks.

Thanks for your time. I'm a "Tech Support Guy" virgin and, as I mentioned above, I'm not a "techy" person, but I do kindly ask for any EFFECTIVE guidance that you might be able to help me get my 32GB speed back.

Kindly,
    Rickster123

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    A computer(unknown description) with an Intel Core i7(unknown model number) processor and 32 GB of RAM definitely shouldn't be running slow.
    There could be any number of reasons for the slowness, such as:
    Too many running processes
    An infestation of malware, spyware, etc.
    A too-full and/or badly-fragmented hard drive
    A processor heatsink/cooling unit that's clogged with dust

Your computer technician made a good suggestion.
    Depending on how long a computer has been in use and how much clutter and issues it's accumulated, a clean reinstall and fresh start will breathe new life in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yungstunnagh likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice