1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a Acer travelmate 5720 and it'sask for a hdd password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sogle0529, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sogle0529

Sogle0529 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I bought this thing used and everything I have tried from the f2 to alt and f10 it will not let me factory rest. What do I do

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Some hard drives have built in locks located on the hard drive. These are impossible to bypass. You have to ask the previous owner to give you the password.

Is this a laptop - what brand and model please.

3. Sogle0529

Acer travelmate 5720 laptop

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Ask the previous owner for the password.

5. Sogle0529

They don't know what it. That's why I am here now.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Acer TravelMate 5720 laptop was introduced in late 2007 - early 2008 and supposedly came with Windows Vista Business 32-bit.
    You can confirm which Windows version originally came in yours by examining its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

As we at the forum cannot be certain of whether your laptop is stolen property or not, we have a policy of not helping with bypassing passwords. You will have to take it to a shop. At least that means you have the item and is not trying to pull a prank on the owner.

8. Sogle0529

Yeah I have already the person I bought it from and a shop. I understand the policy and thank you

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You posted this in the "Windows XP" section, so I'm assuming whoever sold you that Acer TravelMate 5720 laptop said it has Windows XP in it.
    What is the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

According to that laptop's support site, it has full driver support for Windows XP and Windows Vista 32-bit, so it was designed to run those Windows operating systems.
    Windows XP went "extinct" in April 2014 and Windows Vista went "extinct" in April 2017, so you should consider buying a newer faster laptop which has Windows 7 or Windows 10.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. Sogle0529

It is xp

11. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    This isn't a fix, but it is an option considering XP isn't safe for internet usage and updating to Win 10 may not be practical considering the age of your laptop.

Set up a Live version of Linux on a DVD or USB flash drive and ignore the hard drive since it's apparently locked.
    You won't be using Windows apps, but there are many Linux apps that will replace them.

I'm currently booting Puppy Linux from a USB flash drive on a Lenovo desktop with the hard drive disconnected. ( I choose not to use Windows on the Internet ).
    I browse the Internet with Firefox and everything looks/acts the same as if I were using Firefox and Windows.

http://puppylinux.com/download.html

I use Xenialpup64.
    I've been using Puppy Linux for about 4 years with good results.

It's a different culture and not necessarily for everyone.
    There is a learning curve, but Puppy is among the few that works well as downloaded, so that learning curve isn't difficult. IMO, easier than when I had to learn Win 98se.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice