1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a dumb router question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I received my new Trendnet router ($10 after rebates) from Newegg. It came with a CD and instructions that basically tell you to run the CD for installation instructions. They are so brief that I wonder why they even spent the money to print the "installation instructions".

It is a wireless router and I was wondering if it can also be run with cables too. There are "LAN" and "WAN" ports on the front or rear of the unit and it has one cable.

If it can be run with wires, I would rather do that so I think I will need to get another cable so that I will have a cable to each computer (assuming that I run my cable internet line into the router and it is divided there and sent on to each computer).

The alternative is to find some receiving antenae for each of the computers. Trendnet sells some USB 2.0 receivers that look like what I would want if the router cannot be run with wiring.

Can a "wireless" router be run either way?

Thanks

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Most can if as you state they have the ports to do so.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've never seen a wireless router that didn't also offer wired capability. The one that you bought has four LAN ports, and you can connect CAT5 cables to those to run wired computers. Yes, you can run the wireless and the wired at the same time. You can even use a simple Ethernet switch and run more than four wired computers off that router, I have an 8 port gigabit switch, and an 8 port 10/100 switch running additional devices, all off a single broadband router.

4. replay

replay

5. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I installed the Trendnet router today. Was worried about lack of instructions but the CD leads you through it step by step and it was easy. Now, I have to go get an ethernet cable tomorrow at Fry's. Thanks for the lead on this $10 router. I think it will work fine.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The CD is basically a Wizard to help configure the router. I usually throw them in the Garbage right away. I just login to the IP address.

7. JohnWill

8. replay

replay

well maybe he'll want to move one of his computers......then he won't have to mess with 40ft of cable:confused:

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Hardwired all the way every chance I get,lol.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

If you have a Home Depot close go there for any cables you need, much cheaper.

11. JohnWill

He'll just have painfully slow file sharing, and 40 pounds of headaches keeping the wireless running. :D

12. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I got another cable today and hooked up the second computer. The software recognized it and the printers that are installed on it.

Now, all I have to do is read the manual and learn to use it. The first task will be to copy files from the old computer to the new one.

One of my software companies stopped one of my programs from running yesterday. Said I had it installed on two computers which is true. I will have to remove it from the old computer along with other software so that I don't have two programs installed at the same time. I will have to uninstall a lot of programs if they are able to tell that a program is installed on two computers at once over the internet.

Thanks for your help

13. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Ive got two wireless routers running in my house currently, one is for a private family network. And the other is for anyone who wants to use the internet. Gives me an out if the RIAA every comes after me :)

14. JohnWill

Actually, since you provided an illegal link for "anyone who wants to use the Internet", I don't see that this gives you any out. :rolleyes: Just one more illegal activity to charge you with. ;)

15. pshnfry

pshnfry

If you discount file sharing, just look at internet access and printing and throw in a solid brick 70 year old house, you'd be mad to consider anything but wireless! Everything has it's place, I have wireless in the house running XP, 2K and Ubuntu from 3 pc's, with a wired network in the shed running XP and Ubuntu across 4 pc's. Even with basic no-name wireless nic's I don't have any issues with that aspect of the network (other than Linux and drivers of course, but that's another story!).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice