1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a laptop with no CD-Rom or floppy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mimi, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mimi

Mimi Thread Starter

I need to reload an operating system after formatting and partioning my hard drive, but since there is no CD built in to the laptop (I have one that uses a PCMCIA card interface)an operating system doesn't recognize the CD as even being there to load the operating system. I thought maybe I should ghost an operating system onto the laptop, but I've never done that before. Can anyone tell me what type of connection I would use between my desktop and the laptop if I were going to ghost an operating system onto said laptop? Any other hints or information would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. Hairy

Hairy

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hairy has the correct solution, I have a couple of these that I use for laptop drives.

4. Mimi

Mimi Thread Starter

Does the laptop drive show up as another drive when it is plugged in, and you just copy to that drive as though it were a part of the desktop? And where do you plug that cable in on the desktop, the IDE connection?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you use the adapter, the laptop drive becomes just another IDE drive. Note that you have to make sure that it doesn't conflict with another drive in the system, it's best to put it on a separate port if you can, so you don't have to tinker with it's jumpering. Many laptop drives aren't all that well marked as far as jumpering is concerned, I guess they think they don't have enough room to write it down! :D

6. Mimi

Mimi Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones input. I'll locate the correct cable and give it a shot! I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice