1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a question about cookies!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by runner340, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. runner340

runner340 Thread Starter

I can't get my disk cleaner to work,and i went before to IE to delete cookies and it wiped out when i get on sites like this ,my automatic sign in and i had to remember my passwords and i'm on a few sites and it wiped them all out! I was lucky i remembered my pass words, but i don't know now weather i can again!!!!What did i do wrong.thanks for your help!!:) I need to get rid of some temp files,to clean up disk space!

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Then just delete the "temp files" and don't bother the cookies.

3. runner340

runner340 Thread Starter

OK thanks alot will do!!!:)

4. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Hi runner340

Cookies are small txt type files that store tracking details about which sites you may have visited when browsing. These details can include usernames and passwords used on database sites such as TSG. If you look in your cookies folder you can see which sites use cookies and have stored the details on your PC.

So for examply, on Amazon (com or co uk) you might have a user login and if you use cookies - the next time you visit Amazon your member details will be looked up by amazon by reading their cookie on your PC and you will automatically be logged in.

Some www sites do nothing with cookies, others such as amazon do.... they are not dangerous and can be used effectively and safely.

Hope this helps...

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Not all cookies are so "good & helpful" though. Some are trackers/tracers that should be considered bad and they need to be removed. The good news is the most cookie managers will allow you to keep the ones you want while removing the rest. I is up to you to tell it which ones you want to keep. Some are pretty easy to recognise, others are not. If you watch what new entries are added to your cookie folder you can determine which ones to keep.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice