1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a question regarding fitting my heat sink onto my motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raidenz, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

I recently purchased this heat sink from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

I realized the bracket that attaches to my motherboard doesn't line up with the screw holes on the mb.

The motherboard I have is a ASUS M4A785-M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595

I can't use the heat sink bracket the motherboard gave me because this kind of heat sink screws into the bracket and the heat sink that came with my mb doesn't have any screw holes on the side.

One solution I was thinking was to purchase this bracket

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=asus_heat_sink-_-35-101-031-_-Product

I was wondering if I were to buy that adapter, do you think it would fit on my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 heat sink? Or should I just return the heat sink and try to find a heat sink that lines up with my motherboard? Thanks!

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

If it were mine i would get the correct heat sink.

3. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

Could you suggest a heat sink compatible for ASUS M4A785-M?

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The specs say it fits amds however arctic also makes the arctic pro 64 which is really made for the amds.

FWIW I have an arctic freezer pro 64 and it keeps my overclocked amd 940 running in the mid 30s under normal use.

6. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

crjdriver I don't have an AMD though I have an ASUS.

7. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

can anyone please just tell me what a compatible heatsink there is for my ASUS M4A785-M mb?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you are using a hammer, your asus mb supports amd chips AND I assume you have installed an amd cpu.

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

Raidenz you have a Asus motherboard with a AMD socket.

10. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

My bad I didn't know you were talking about the processor. So any AMD heatsink will be compatible with my mb?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

12. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

sounds good crj, now do you know if the bracket that hs comes with lines up with the ASUS mb I have? (M4A785-M) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595

Cuz my main problem is alignment on my mb. I couldn't find where it says the compatibility of mb on the hs you linked me.

The heat sink I purchased came with components for installation on intel and AMD, but they both still attach to the same plastic bracket (which doesn't align to the holes on my motherboard)

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not install the hsf to any holes on the board. It installs to a bracket that is attached to the mb. This bracket should have come on your mb. In fact I have never seen an amd mb come without the bracket. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

14. Raidenz

Raidenz Thread Starter

No I wasn't talking about the actual heat sink screwing into the mb. I know the hsf screws into the bracket. The problem is, the bracket my new hsf came with doesn't align to the holes on my mb. And the original bracket my mb came with doesn't have any screw holes on it to attack the hsf to.

15. frankjohn

frankjohn

The heat sink fan assembly does not screw into the board. Take a look in post 11 you will see a lever and as i call them clip attachments.Forget any bracket.On your first post dis regard the heat sink that you listed. Your board has clip slots to accept the heat sink fan assembly shown in post 11.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice