I have a question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shawnstrauss

I joined the forum about a year ago, and thanks to the many dedicated people on the forum, I have remained virus free. My question is, when you instruct people how to get rid of viruses, you often instruct them to boot up in safe mode. I just wondered why this step is necessary and what would happen if you didn't boot up in safe mode?

When you boot into safe mode it's because you can carry out diagnostics, repairs etc, it's easier as most system files and programes have not loaded up!

For instance, many users of windows ME will be able to tell you that sometimes it's difficult to run disc Defragmenter because of a flaw in Windows, and that to run disc defrag in WInows ME, some people had to boot into safe mode to run because that way, Windows processes would not interfere with the defrag, while in normal mode background processes like system restore and explorer.exe could interfere with the defragging of a hard drive.

It's the same for cleaning viruses, trojans etc, we boot into safe mode because most of the viruses etc wouldn't load up in safe mode and they are easier to delete that way. If you try in normal mode, you sometimes get errors like cannot delete file, process is in use by another user or application, in safe mode it usually hasn't even loaded up yet.

That's why sometimes we have to use Ctr/alt/del to terminate a running process before deleting it, therefore, booting into safe mode makes it easier as there are less applications running and the bad guys are usually still in bed!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online