1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a scrubbed hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sjk721, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjk721

sjk721 Thread Starter

I bought a scrubbed Compaq Pentium II that when started only shows wi95 and gives me a C prompt in DOS. I cannot get the system to recognize the CD ROM drive or start anything. I have a Windows ME upgrade disc to install but how do I go about getting the system up and running. I have two other systems in the house on Windows ME, can I install the hard drive from the new machine onto an old one and transfer the info to the scrubbed drive???

2. brianF

brianF

Boot the machine up with a win98 startup disk, choose with cdrom support. With winme disk in drive navigate to cdrom drive, the drive letter will be one higher than it was due to the ram drive the startup disk installed, type setup

You can use a startup disk made off any win98 machine or download one at www.bootdisk.com. Save the downloaded file, put a floppy in the drive, and run the file, it will extract the startup disk files to the floppy drive. Then put the floppy in the machine you want to install to and start it up

3. sjk721

sjk721 Thread Starter

At the risk of sounding stupid, when I turn on the system it will no tload from the a drive. What is my step by step installation of the boot disk.. Also which bootdisk do I download from the file you suggested. Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice