1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have a similar question also

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dmbaker, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmbaker

dmbaker Thread Starter

I purchased a Win7 Home Professional upgrade disc from Microsoft so I'm assuming that would only be usable on a system already running Windows? I actually have two issues. One is my Lenovo that just expired its warranty and when I bought it the OS is on its own partition but I don't know how to use it. I'd rather not do a new installation but I can get the system to allow access to anything device I plug in to the usb ports. It installs them and they show up in the device menu but I keep getting and error "not accessible" when I try to open them. If I open in safe mode I can get a device to open and restart then use it but if I take it out I have to go through the whole thing all over again. I called Lenovo before the warranty expired but they say its a software issue so not covered.

The other one I bought from ebay and the seller installed windows 7 ulitmate but the sticker on the machine is vista as well as the key. I'm trying to clean up some malware on it and if it turns out the win7 is not valid, I have no way to put vista back on it without any of the discs, right?

I gues my question is what do I need to use if I have to do a clean installation?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Started your own thread for you here.

The first problem is with USB devices?

Since the second PC had Vista pre-installed you can legitimately install the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD. Boot to the DVD, do a "Custom" (clean) install, and do not enter the Product Key. After the install see if you can then activate it with the (Windows 7) Product Key. If not, then install Windows 7 again doing an "Upgrade" install and this time enter the Product Key when prompted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice