I have an Ethernet Card, but software is saying I don't...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

principessa

i'm trying to install verizon's dsl software and it keeps telling me i don't have a network interface card, but i am 99.9999% sure when i got this computer i got an intergrated ethernet card, and there is a spot for an ethernet cord at the back :confused: ... can anyone tell me what's going on, or make a suggestion? if so, thank you for taking the time to help!! *princi

TerryNet

Terry
Try looking for your NIC in Device Manager; see if it's there, no warnings, "working," and enabled.

principessa

thanks :) i'm only moderately experienced - do i look under "network adapters"? there i see "broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller" - there's no x on it, no warnings that i see...

TerryNet

Terry
Yes, principessa, you are exactly correct! You can now say you are 100% sure of having a NIC.

I'm now at the point of throwing out some ideas to see if something works or gives more info ... (anybody with Verizon DSL experience can help here?)

At the point where the DSL software is complaining about the lack of NIC, do you have a cable installed between the modem and PC? Are you supposed to?

If not, try connecting one anyhow. Is the light by the ethernet port on your PC now lighted? Does the modem have a light that now indicates connection to the PC? Any change in what the DSL software says now?

principessa

hi :) the software isn't even letting me get to the point where i get to connect the pc and modem *humph!* - i'll do it, just to see, but i have a bad feeling that (unless i can figure this within the next few days) i'm gonna have to cancel and ship all this stuff back :(

TerryNet

Terry
principessa, included with "all this stuff" should be a local or toll free number to call for installation (or technical) support. Call them now because they have probably dealt with similar problems.

How old is the computer? Desktop or notebook? What OS and patch level are you using? (Verizon will also ask this.)

principessa

hi terrynet, and friends :) verizon online's support didn't know any more than the great people on this site, soooo... all i've concluded is, if anyone runs into the same problem, w/ your NIC not being recognized: after you've plugged in your filters, *also plug in your ethernet cord (from your computer to the modem)* (as the wonderful terrynet suggested!) BEFORE moving forward w/ the software cd... and that should get around the problem. if that isn't enough, then i was told i'd need to go into control panel > network connections and create a new connection...

unfortunately for me, i had other, underlying issues that have caused problems, so i gave in and canceled my dsl. but, i couldn't have gotten this far without you 'guys,' and i learned a lot in the process! ...i'm sure i'll be back with new problems :) so until then, everybody take care! :) *princi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online