1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Have An Idea

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Rivera42, Nov 6, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

I find myself using the Tech Guy site search feature quite often, and it seems to me that somebody ought to make a Tech Guy search engine plugin for Firefox. It strikes me as especially fitting given the support that wonderful program receives left and right around here ;)

2. Jason Ess

Jason Ess

Sounds okay to me, but then again, i really dont use search that much :)

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What would it do that the regular search doesn't?

And what about IE? IE is used by the vast majority of people and has innumerable incarnations in program windows, GreenBrowser, Maxthon, Avant, NetCaptor, MetaProducts OE, etc., etc.

5. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

It would search the Tech Guy site exclusively, in the fashion of the YouTube seach engine plugin, or the Wikipedia search, or any other site-specific search engine. My idea was based on the fact that I constantly use the search box on TechGuy to look for certain topics or subject matter, and I also use the FF search box rather often as well. I find myself using a variety of the available plugins, since many sites now offer their own. Facebook, Crackle.com, AOL, Photobucket, ESPN and Ebay, to name but a few, all have their own site-specific search engine plugins, and in many cases they're only available while on the site in question. It just strikes me that TechGuy would be well served to jump in on that action. I know I personally would get a lot of mileage out of this kind of tool.

By all means, adapt the search plugin for IE. I'm from the school that believes in keeping IE installed even if it's not your default browser and IMHO anything that can enhance the experience of using it is all right with me.

The reason I think this is a decent idea stems from the fact that, to cite one concrete example, I frequently select the McAfee SiteAdvisor search engine in Firefox and type the URL into the browser's search box instead of using the dropdown menu on the SA tool itself. The search box then loads the corresponding site report on McAfee. Maybe it only streamlines a step or two out of the process, but to be able to search a site before you've even surfed over to that site just seems really convenient to me, as well as limitlessly useful, especially since this is something I frequently do while I'm preoccupied elsewhere on the Web and for one reason or another can't find the time to do a search the "hard way." (Is there even a hard way? I think we're just getting lazier ;) )

6. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Good Idea, If you can share Firefox Add-Ons, let me know!

7. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

Speaking of, there is actually a Mozilla Add-Ons search engine plugin! Go to addons.mozilla.org then click on the FF Search Box dropdown to select an engine. You'll see "Add Mozilla Add-Ons?" at the bottom of the menu. Click it and you're good.

8. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

See graphic for a way to search TSG.

Attached Files:

10. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

I'm proposing a means to search the site without being on the site IOW.

11. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

To clarify, if any further clarification is needed: I'm referring to search engine plugins for the Firefox search box, which as noted supports a variety of site-specific engines designed to "cut out the middleman" of surfing over and using the site's own box on the site's own page. These are the FF search engine options available in the dropdown menu on the search box itself, usually you just click on the Google icon and a whole list of available engines appears. Firefox supports specialized engines from sites like YouTube, Ebay, IMDb, Amazon.com, Facebook, Creative Commons, and a ridiculous smorgasbord of others. They even have one that searches just the Mozilla add-on site.
    I was proposing TechGuy join in on the fun.

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

In the interim, which may be a long interim, run Google and at the end of your search string, insert site:techguy.org

Or have your Google link set up to go straight to advanced and then enter techguy.org in the Domains field.

Or, if you always do "basic" searches, just link to here

13. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

That looks good, as you say in the interim. I'd like to think that I could take a stab at realizing this idea, but I've never created a plugin before. Regardless, as soon as I get some free time (that I don't then spend hanging out on Tech Guy) I'd like to investigate whether I possess the skills and ability to make it happen. If it doesn't turn out that I'm capable of creating a search engine I hope somebody somewhere takes the initiative.

14. Rivera42

Rivera42 Thread Starter

WhitPhil: do you know if the suggestions you made can be incorporated into the settings for the CustomizeGoogle add-on?

15. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Unfortunately, can't help you there.

Just create a shortcut to it, and either drop it on the desktop or in the QuickLaunch if there is no other quick way to get to it from FF.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice