Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have an old Dell, still running XP:

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I'm sure that this has been asked many times, but:

I'd just like to wipe everything clean and start all over again with a new install of XP.

I have all the original stuff, including the CD's.

Is this still possible to do? TIA

#2 ·
just wondered, if you are aware of the, end of support from for XP except, security updates from MS, afaik. if the cds are for the machine.

backing up all the crucial, personal stuff, passwords, etc. is a priority as it will be lost.

To perform a clean installation of Windows XP, follow these steps:
  1. Back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP. ...
  2. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. ...
  3. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.

#3 ·
I'd just like to wipe everything clean and start all over again with a new install of XP.
I have all the original stuff, including the CD's.
Is this still possible to do?
What's the model name and model number of that Dell?
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?
Once your Dell is correctly identified and its support site located, we'll have a better idea of what you have to work with and what roadblocks you may encounter.

Dells from several years ago came with a Windows disc and drivers disc and additional discs, so I'm going to assume that's what you have.
Does your Windows XP disc include Service Pack 3(SP3) or is it an older version?

Doing a clean install of Windows XP and getting it up-to-date and getting all of the computer's devices working can be difficult and time-consuming, so be prepared for that.
I've done many of them over the years, so I've developed some procedures that save me a lot of time and grief.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Thanks guys. As it turns out, I just did some major housecleaning, deleted a lot of funky stuff, the Dell is running OK (for the simple, occasional stuff I use it for.) Not going to do a re-install.

But I have a new question. I understand that Microsoft Security Essentials no longer provides support for XP.
A. Does this mean that they no longer proved updates, or that it literally is not doing anything as far as malware/spyware/virus protection?
B. If the latter is true, I was thinking of installing Avira or a similar program. I already have Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and HouseCleaner. Yourthoughts appreciated.

#8 ·
You didn't answer the first 2 questions in post #3, so we don't know which Dell model you have and what hardware(processor, RAM, etc.) it has.

Many antivirus programs no longer work with Windows XP, and some that do work can put a big drag on an old slow computer, so be careful which one you choose and use.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.