1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have Bad BLOCKS....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pfiltz, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I have a server that I manage for a small company, of which I tried to get a Live State Recovery image of, and it won't due to bad blocks on the main and only drive on it. What software can I buy keep the OS from writing data or trying to write data to it, or will the OS itself know not to.

I'm running Win2K SBS on it.

Thanks

2. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon pfiltz, the problem with bad blocks is ongoing and common, and of course running scandisk and programs like that just cease writing and reading to the whole block, often meaning that data is lost. (That area is blocked out of further use)

This program HDDRegenerator is quite unique, it runs from a bootable source and applies repeated pulsing type signals to the drive that actually usually recovers the magnetic ability and usually restores the block complete with the data on it.

If there is actual physical damage it naturally does not work, but in probably 75% of cases the problem is simply magnetic deterioration which is restored by this process.

Check it out, if it is recoverable, it will recover it.
    The trial version will only recover one block.
    http://www.dposoft.net/

The process appears to have lasting effect.
    See what your think.

Normally if any read/write is attempted on bad blocks the effect will be crash.

I don't know of any sofware for that application apart from scandisk and chkdisk which may blockout those areas.
    qldit.

3. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on this product. I'll take a look at it. The drive in the server is a Seagate Cheatah 15K drive, which is in fact a replacement drive from Dell on one that died last year. I might even call Dell to get it replaced. The drive has been in the server probably 6 months.

I didn't really know there was a problem, until I tried to get an updated Live State Recovery Image of the drive.

4. qldit

qldit

Yes, there would have been spare blocks probably used as well so the problem obviously is entrenched.

That regen program does not affect files or data on the drive, but does need to be run from a boot disk.
    Many people are against these types of programs but I am impressed with them.
    There is a lot of technical logic in why they deserve evaluation, in practical tests I have done the drives are generally restored and give good reliable operation once again..

qldit.

5. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Well, I figure we'll get a backup of the SQL data sent over to another server, which it does every 2 hours anyway, run the program, restore data, then try to create a Live State Image, and see what happens.

If for some reason the system gets hosed, I'll just restore that last good image that was taken 6 months ago, and then restore the SQL data back.

May buy it today, and try it this week if I get the time. I'm a part time IT person for this company.

6. qldit

qldit

Well I have used it on problem drives as PC's and am most impressed with it.
    From a company point of view and it's ability to recover and restore drives I feel it is a must-have kind of tool.

Chances are if you send a drive back to the manufacturer they will only run a program like this and re-issue the drive.

If you get it, do try a few experiments and let me know what you think.

If hysteresis and magnetic theory is considered, with all the other considerations for the hard drive surface material selection, velocity, magnetising forces and target areas, including intensities, it is quite easy to understand why magnetic loss happens and progresses with repeated weak data magentic effect as is the case in normal operation.

The merit for programs like these become very positive.

Of course nothing beats a new drive but prolonging operational life and integrity is a sensible activity.

qldit.

7. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I bought the software. I created a bootable CD for it to run on. I loaded it up yesterday at 4:00 p.m. As of 5:00 a.m. this morning, it was only 45% complete, with (2) blocks recovered. I had to stop the process, so production could continue today.

I'm going to start it again this Friday at 4:00, and let it run all weekend.

Size Drive is a 80 Seagate 15Krpm SCSI drive

8. qldit

qldit

Good Morning pfiltz, that is interesting.
    With an 80 gig drive I would expect something in the order of 3 hours if the drive were virtually clear. (only minor block problems)

In that you are experiencing a long time frame it is likely the repeated attempts to restore magnetic integrity is excessive in respect to the actions required.

This would normally indicate the drive has substantive problems and may not be entirely recoverable, but the proof will be the end product.

A re-run on a clear drive will help gather experience.

As you obtain more experience with this product you will appreciate more about the expectation of rectification tries, time and effect.

Some drives have literally hundreds of bad areas and all may not be recoverable.

You would be aware that the SMART has ability to predict problems and is gathered from a significant amount of information including bad block stuff and head flying height etc.

I don't know if the SMART showing unhealthy drive is re-addressed to re-start or rezero it.

When this program is run it normally allows the best case data recovery situation and if any bads remain, then one of the scandisk type programs to successfully be run, , then any normal clone or activity should be able to be easily done.

There are several similar programs to this HDDRegen, but they do not appear to have any better recovery ability.

In odd cases where blocks are not recoverable and the drive is dismantled, it is common to find physical damage to the platter surface.

It is an interesting process, I have had drives regenned that have been working nonstop for virtually 12 months so there is merit in the process.

I am sure your progress and comments are being watched with interest.

Cheers, qldit.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!