1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have black dots all over my screen

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CartGuy01, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CartGuy01

CartGuy01 Thread Starter

My VGA cord is black and not blue (as seen in the small pic), I assume that does not matter, am I correct?

I took two more pics from the back - in the images you can see one view of the whole back side (including only one attachment --- my monitor) and another zoomed in at all the connections. It shows the whole back of the computer.
    Then I took two inside.....both the full view form the side and an angle back in the direction of where all the connections are. I hope these images offer the views you need to best offer an answer. Thank you for your continued help.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Those external and internal images confirm that your monitor is connected to that desktop's blue 15-pin VGA port, and that there is no graphic card installed.

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

The long black PCI Express x16 slot next to the "Lenovo" label is where a graphic card can be installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. CartGuy01

CartGuy01 Thread Starter

Ok, that sounds like something I can do.

Are there any minimum specs I should look for in a graphic card? This isn't a very expensive computer so I'm hoping not to sink too much money into this card if possible. But i will listen to your suggestion. You've been very helpful. Thanks

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Because of the low-quality low-wattage power supply your computer has, you're limited in the graphic card models that you can use.
    Your main goal anyway is to regain a normal display, so that's not a problem.
    THIS GeForce GT 710 PCI Express x8 graphic card is one that I use in my old Dell desktops that have a 305W power supply.
    It uses only 19W of power and has a 15-pin VGA port for connecting it to your monitor.
    It looks like it should fit okay inside your case.

Installing a graphic card and its driver isn't difficult in most cases, but you need to be careful not to damage anything while doing it.
    If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, ask someone computer knowledgeable to help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183385