1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have just re installed windows XP & have to copies installed.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jsknight100, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsknight100

jsknight100 Thread Starter

I have just re installed Windows XP. Windows installed after two attempts. When I turn the computer on there are two Windows XP choices. Only the first works how I delete the other one. I tried Boot.ini tab & both paths are valid according to boot.ini. But only one boots up.

I have one hard drive. With at least two partitions. C: 74.7 GB with 63.3 freespace
    D: 74.2GB with 70.6 freespace

These are my original hard drive specifications: 160GB (7200RPM) SERIAL ATA HARD DRIVE WI

So I suspect there is at least one or more hidden partitions leaving 11.1 GB for hidden partitions!

Windows is present on both C: & D: drives. In the windows directory on C: the earliest entry is 19.12.12, 21.43 the latest 21.12.12, 22.50
    In the windows directory on D: the earliest entry is 19.12.12, 18.42 the latest 21.12.12, 22.40

Is partition 1 the C: drive & partition 2 the D: drive? Will I be able to delete one copy of windows?

Hope this makes sense to someone, any help gratefully received!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Boot from the XP CD.

Delete all current partitions.

Create a new C partition.

Allocate the entire hard drive capacity to that new C partition.

Format that new C partition in the NTFS file system.

Install XP in C:\WINDOWS.

---------------------------------------------------------

Refer to images 1.1 through 1.12.

http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-xp-home-install-guide/

----------------------------------------------------------

3. jsknight100

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was wondering if there was any way round reinstalling windows? I have just spent almost a day reloading programmes & updates!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I resurrect and upgrade Windows XP computers on a regular basis, so I'm aware that it's an "all day" process from start to finish.

Unfortunately, the only way to resolve the mess in your computer is to start from scratch.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the "C" partition the one you are booting to and want to keep? If so, use msconfig or EasyBCD to make sure it is the default boot and then delete the other entry.

Then use Disk Management, or another partitioning tool, to delete or format the "D" partition. If you want that unallocated space (after deleting "D") to be part of the "C" partition and it is immediately to the right you can use Disk Management to Extend "C."

If the "D" partition is the one you want to keep there are more complications, and I wouldn't even try.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good question. Please attach a screen shot of the Disk Management window. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot.

7. jsknight100

Thanks for your help. All sorted now. I want to keep partition so I can try out Ubuntu.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice