1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have no idea what or how these got in c\windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by carrot4040, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrot4040

carrot4040 Thread Starter

I have been updating my windows and I also just received an email. which I saved, (a wmv file what ever that was) I always save to my desktop but when I went looking for it, it said it saved it to c\windows. I never found this wmv file but did find 104 of somthing that I don't think is suppose to be in c\windows least I never had it before. I have no idea how these got into windows or when, but I hope someone can help me, is it ok to delete these? I won't list all of them but here are a few of what I found:

ffc0fbd1_{1E0E6AA-0266-11D7-8549-444553540000}.tmp
    ffc15edf_{5a4837E3-BC56-11D6-8547-D95DF504C855}.tmp
    ffc15ffd_{E189FAE2-BCBF-11D6-8547-EED9F8481B55}.tmp

and the list goes on up to 104 of these with different numbers but all start with "ffc" and end in "tmp". I really don't think my updating windows has anything to do with this, I'm hoping this is ok to delete, any help would be welcome

2. patch-man

patch-man

I'm assuming that you are running either 95 or 98. If so, you don't have a TEMP variable set in your autoexec.bat. Edit c:\autoexec.bat and add a line called TEMP=C:\TEMP and create the directory c:\temp. Now all these temp file will be placed in there and can be easily delete.
    It should be save to delete anything that ends in .tmp, unless you have a program that purposely creates files with a .tmp extension. Personally, I would just go ahead and delete c:\windows\*.tmp.

3. IMM

IMM

Run msconfig and uncheck mdm.exe under the startup tab.

Are these all 0 byte files? If so just delete them.

What version of microsoft programming languages or office do you run?
    Is script debugging off in IE?

Most of the time - these things begin fff rather than ffc - so I'm guessing that you're running officeXP or similar?

4. carrot4040

patch-man I do have a c\temp director. all of these files are of 0 bytes, so I will just delete them and thank you for your help, I'm still not sure how they all got into c\windows to begin with, just hope I'm doing the right thing.

5. patch-man

patch-man

If they are all 0 length, then it's safe to delete them. As for the c:\temp, do you have a line in your autoexec setting temp=<anything>?

6. carrot4040

IMM I am running windows 98, I run msconfig and mdm.exe was not under the start-up. You were right about all of these being 0 bytes and most began with ffc but I checked again and some of the last ones began with fff. I will go ahead and delete, thank you for your help

7. IMM

IMM

Depending on how far you scroll right in msconfig - you may not see mdm.exe - it might call itself Machine Debug Manager.

What's your version of IE or office?

8. carrot4040

I had IE5.0 updated to IE6.0
    Disable Script debugging has a check mark in front of it in advanced internet options.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. oldjoe

oldjoe

Carrot4040,

Are you still tracking this thread?

Last post: 2 years ago, and it is helping me now.

I just discovered 1584 of these files in C:\windows on my W98SE system.
    All have zero bytes, and span a 4 year period of time.

I suspect that they might be related to my Epson 660 inkjet printer, like one file
    per page printed over the past 4 years.

Thanks to your posting this, and the replies you got, I can confidently get rid of
    all of it, but that leaves one question...

How do we get them to stop accumulating???

If anyone has an answer, or further info on this subject, please post your opinions.

Thanks, Old Joe

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

12. oldjoe

oldjoe

Looks to me like thay are "office" tmp files. Thanks for the links. I am studying the microsoft article now.

OldJoe

13. oldjoe

oldjoe

Rog,
    Thanks for the help. I deleted all 1584 of them. They are apparantly created in pairs every time the computer is restarted. It is a byproduct of MDM, which does exist in my "close programs" window. I decided not to bother preventing future files, as they are obviously harmless. I'll just delete them once a year or so.

OldJoe

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

MDM, standing for Machine Debug Manager, is associated with script debugging. It does not need to run and unless you have some specific need for it (you are programming code for example), you should check "disable script debugging" in Internet Options > Advanced and/or it can be checked and "fixed" in a HijackThis scanlog or just unchecked in msconfig > startup group.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice