1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have NO PHYSICAL ADDRESS, what to do???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tommy4024, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tommy4024

Tommy4024 Thread Starter

Hi Folks!

My problem when I try to get on the internet is that I get the message:
    (Page cannot be displayed). My other computers get on. I'm working with winXP Pro and when at the CMD prompt I type in "ipconfig /all" there is no
    physical address for my adapter... everything else looks fine so can you please help me in finding or placing an address to my adapter?

Thanks in advance!
    Tommy4024!

2. Tommy4024

Tommy4024 Thread Starter

OK!
    So finally I figured out how to change the MAC address. I did it and still I can't get on the internet. Now I failed to mention to you that this is a LAN on the motherboard.
    I have two of these machines that I built and neither will get on the web. They are
    both the same motherboard,.and the same specifications. Any ideas???

Thanks!
    Tommy4024!

3. jtsquared

jtsquared

Have you checked Device Manager to make sure that your NIC's have the proper drivers installed?

jT

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I was getting this intermittently on a PC. Could never figure out the WHY, but did find that using ipconfig /dnsflush gave me the physical and IP addresses.

Also, if you do a search in Help and Support on the word ipconfig, you will get a list of parameters and how to use them.

Hope this helps,

MBN

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

oops, make that ipconfig /flushdns (at a command prompt).

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you "have two of these machines that I built and neither will get on the web.", is it possible that either the onboard network cards are not working or drivers and not installed correctly.

Have you tried installing a known working PCI network card.

Also, how is the IP address being assigned. If it is by a router, make sure the router is configured correctly and you are using a known working network cable and port on the router.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/338971