1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have NVIDIA but ATI showed up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Firerosemon, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Firerosemon

Firerosemon Thread Starter

I'm confused, so because i have another problem which still isn't solved. Someone told me to reinstall my drivers. So i opened up add or remove programs but instead of Nvidia, ATI was there. So i uninstalled ATI drivers, now i don't know how to re-install it but also why is ATI showing up when i have a nvidia graphics card? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure its an NVidia graphics card? Is it the FX5200 in your computer description or another computer?

But you may have an ATI chipset(motherboard), or an ATI TV Tuner. Or maybe it was mistakenly installed.

3. Firerosemon

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation), 128 Mb <-- Yeah it's a FX5200, what does that mean?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, I'll also forgot to mention that you can have two graphic cards. Have you checked Device Manager under the Display and Sound, Video, and Game Controllers sections for other ATI devices?

Also, it appears the MS-7048 is not a standard MSI motherboard. Do you have a name brand system such as a Medion perhaps? If so what is the model of the PC?

If you want to install the latest drivers for the NVIDIA FX5200 then here there are: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

5. Firerosemon

Yes i have, nothing in the sound, video and game controllers section but in the display section it said the name of the Nvidia graphics card, that's it.

About the mother board i have no idea. My brother must have done something years ago because this computer is kinda old. He's into ICT and all that Jazz. I can't ask him anything since he's at work.

Thanks for the link! But don't i need the drivers for ATI since the device manager told me the NVIDIA graphics card cannot be updated further?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drivers I posted ARE for the NVIDIA FX5200.

Device Manager only checks Windows Update or local sources for updated drivers, it does not check the manufacturer's website, which is the link I provided above. You must manually download and install those drivers.

7. Firerosemon

..Well that explains a lot. >W< Thanks anyway, i hope it solves my problem. But I'll probably get the evil BSOD again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice