1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have some laptop questions, my first laptop - thanks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

Hey any laptop techies? I have a couple questions
    Ok first off, i notice my laptop has built in internet the manual says. So I was told that I would be able to stick in a wireless internet card (dont know what exactly their called), and surf the net without any wires? Meaning nothing to plug in? thast gotta be impossible. I have a wireless router but you still need to plug in your connection to the router so the laptop can feed off signals off that. But I dont exactly want to be carrying around the router evrywhere I go lol.

Also, when Im using the laptop with it plugged in, I was told to take out the battery so the battery wont be charging while its plug in and makes it last longer. How do you remove the battery and wont it have a hole in the bottom of the laptop is does it remove like from a discman meaning it has a plastic cover

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The Wireless bit. Yes your laptop should be able to 'talk' to the router Without any wires. That is the wireless bit of the router.
    The advice about the battery only makes any sense if you are using it plugged in almost permanently. Laptop batteries like to be used, and it is better for them if they are discharged fully before being recharged (particularly for the first few times and then about once a month) Modern batteries are not as removable as the older ones were when all you had to do was press a stud and it slipped out.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I am confused by what you are saying regarding the term "Built-In"

I interpret "Built In" as meaning that your laptop has an integrated wireless adapter. If this is the case, you do not need to put a wireless card in it because there is one already built in. All you need to do is go somewhere that has a wireless network and configure the built in card to use that network. One of the great thing about these new wireless networks is that there are many public "Hot Spots" with wireless internet such as Starbucks Coffee, Barnes and Noble Bookstore, and many others. This means you can take your laptop to any place with one of these connection and surf the web. Since you are using their network, you would configure your wireless network connection with the settings of their Router or wireless access point.

Rollin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice