I have strange looking icons ..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mrcrowley1967

About a year ago my icons stopped showing pics and started showing default icon like in attached picture. I tried some ideas given to me from the forum but nothing worked. I have no viruses or malware as a matter of fact it runs better than it has in the past. Now what is interesting that I have noticed is this, I have installed a few programs along the way with icons in the installation program BUT they do not show ether. On some icons I can restore the icon through the right clicking and properties others I can not. So I come to you again tired of staining eyes to find a program on my desktop. Also all the windows Icons seem to be fine except the calculator that I have noticed any help would be greatly accepted.

Computer specs
windows xp sp3
all updates done
Zone Alarm Security suite updates and run all spy and antivirus
System mechanic 8.0
no new hardware added
diskeeper run on all hard drives

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/Mrcrowley1967/

Mrcrowley1967, Right click your Desktop, choose Properties, under the Settings tab change the Color Quality from 32 bit to 16 bit, click Apply/OK. Now go back and change the Color Quality from 16 bit to 32 bit, click Apply/OK. This should rebuild the Iconcache.db file and very well may correct your problem.

Tufenuf

Tufenuf,

Thanks so much! Your post about changing to 16Bit then 32Bit fixed my problem. My friend downloaded a Bricopack and my icons were still the same when I did a system restore. I tried your advice and it swtiched back to normal. Thanks!

Mrcrowley1967, Your max iconcache may need to be increased. Go to the link below and scroll down to line 166 right colum and download the "Add Icon Cache Size to Folder Options/View" .reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. This will give you 4 icon cache choices under the View tab in Folder Options. You can experiment with the choices starting with the smallest first. See if this corrects your problem. I'm about out of ideas.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

DorkyPenguin, Glad to see that changing to 16Bit then 32Bit fix worked for you. It usually does correct the icon problem.

Tufenuf

Heh, got any other quick tips that can fix performance problems? Started another topic on it, but not many views.

Mrcrowley1967

Well here is the deal it did not fix the problem but I did change the icon on some maunualy through properties or I should say reloaded them but some will not load the icon for that program .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online