1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have the herss.exe virus

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Toyman, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

I have just spent the last day and a half getting to the bottom of thios herss virus. Here is what I have

determined.

1. It ONLY activates when I click on a drive other than my C Drive. It did it on my E Drive which is an extension of

my C Drive it also Activated on my D Driove which is a drive in my computer case AND it activated on an EXTERNAL

drive..... what do I mean activated? I observed in my startup folder in msconfig that ONLY ..... and this is from

about 10 different installs of windows..... AFTER I clicked on my E Drive or my D Drive or my G Drive that herss.exe

shows up in the startup folder...... never when I click on my C Drive though.

Here's something interesting though..... when I right click on my D or E or G drives and click EXPLORE..... not sure

why.... but when I click on exlore drive it doesn't activate the herss.exe virus.

If I forget and click on a drive INSTEAD of exploring it and getting to my folders I have the virus AGAIN.

here's something else I noticed....notice in the screen shot it says "Run The Program using the program provided on

the device...... never used to see that.... SOMEHOW there MUST be a hidden .dll or program on my E or D or G drive

that is hiding this VIRUS and not sure why but it only activates upon clicking on the drive.....

how can I discover WHERE this program is..... the folders don't SAY there is anything hidden..... is it

I have FORMATTED my C drive my E Drive and my D Drive..... and STILL this thing is on there.....

is there a place in the registry that stores programs like this to acitvate at a certain time or a certain activity

that causes it to activate and I can delete it from there?

I have tried anti virus software....NO LUCK.....

SOMEHOW there is a program SOMWHERE that I need to delete .... how and where is the question...

for now I can work around this problem but one wrong click and I have herss.exe eatting up all my resources.... it

runs the CPU at 100% and causes most tasks to run slower and my keyboard to run slow....

If I am right in guessing.....if I can discover where they hid this program and delete it from there I will be good

to go...

I have win XP, SP2, have had the same copy of XP for like 7 years and never had this problem before.

please help..... and thanks in advance....

[​IMG]

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Toyman

Toyman Thread Starter

I moved it, now how do I delete this one?

Thanks

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

I hope it's soon sorted for you.
    If I were you I'd just use the 'report' option and ask a Mod to close this one.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    close as requested

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice