1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have to have my Pc underclocked in order to play games.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DTRomans, Nov 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. DTRomans

DTRomans Thread Starter

So i tried bit farming and i think that ruined my pc, games only really work with my pc underclocked. if i try to play with a normal clock it the fan starts going crazy and then my display is cut. my pc stays on my fan just goes beserk and i cant do anything with my pc.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

By farming, do you mean crypto mining?
    Next you are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

3. DTRomans

DTRomans Thread Starter

yea i tried crypto mining, and how do i check for my specs?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

5. DTRomans

DTRomans Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8100 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon(TM) RX 580, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (54 GB Free); D: 919 GB (911 GB Free); E: 12 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 8309
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I am wondering how exactly did you underclock?
    Most mining programs use the video card rather than cpu cycles to mine. You may have damaged your video card. Here is what I would do;
    1 System OFF and pw cord removed, pull out the video card. Note there should be a latch to depress so you can remove the card. Do not just yank it out
    2 Give the card a VERY close inspection to see if you have any burn marks, loose heatsink, or any bulging capacitors
    3 If the card looks OK, blow out with a can of air and reinstall. Be sure the card is fully seated
    4 Check the processor cooler and be sure it is firmly attached. Blow that out with a can of air
    5 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace jumper to the normal position. Note many modern boards do not use a jumper; there are two pins you short with a screwdriver, or other piece of metal. Read your manual
    6 Replace pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and load defaults; save settings and restart. Now check your temps, run a few things to test the system

Do understand that big box systems ie hp, dell, etc are NOT designed for any stressful endeavor such as mining. These things are designed for running office, email, web search, etc NOT gaming or mining.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice