1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have to move a computer...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PritomD, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PritomD

PritomD Thread Starter

Hey, sorry if thisisthe wrong forum, I dunno where to post it. I have to get my computer from Ann Arbor, MI to Mclean, VA by plane, but my bro is just sayiing take itwith him, he is drivingthere. Thething is,I need to still assemble it, and I just needa computer to work on (I am using my dads laptop, who is driving to VA alongwith my bro) so I am asking you guys today, if I take my computer by plane, should I pack itin as a carry on, or would you guys think booking it would be safe? THis is a self built computer fyi, not a dell or anything...should it be ok? whatdo you suggest?

2. norton850

norton850

Although hand carrying it would be safer, it's also somewhat of a pain. I'm sure systems get shipped by air all the time. It comes down to the proper packing with foam, bubble wrap etc. Good quality box and double boxing.

3. 4steve44

4steve44

I guess I'm not sure if you system is a complet system(self built) or still needs assembly(still need to asseble it). In any case what is the downside of letting your brother take it with him to VA?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've shipped tons of computer equipment all over the country. If you pack it properly, in a case with plenty of hi density foam, it'll arrive just fine. When I get a computer to the destination, I normally pop the cover off and make sure that all the connections are solid, and the processor hasn't shed it's heatsink, but they survive pretty well as a rule.

5. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

I strongly agree with johnwill. Coming from the transportation industry I have seen the results of poor packaging too many times.

One time this company shipped all of their RMA'd IBM thinkpads in one big box, rated at no more than 60 lbs, with no internal packaging (bubble wrap, etc). (n)
    Well, needless to say we ended up with about 30 laptops strewn about our sortation system wich really helped to ensure that there was no refurbishment value left in them at the end. :eek: It also jammed up our belts which is a big PITA :mad:

So make sure it is packed well, and does not move around in the box you pack it in. In otherwords, be very generous with the bubble wrap and packing peanuts.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/264703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice