1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have to Reboot with f1 on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slayerrulz, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slayerrulz

slayerrulz Thread Starter

I am running vista, on my dell inspiron 531. I have to Reboot with f1 on start-up, every time I start computer. I think it may be do to a song I downloaded. Because, I was having problems with my XP computer, I think do to this same problem. So I bought a new one and when I transferred all my music it started doing it on this computer.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: When on start-up a black and white screen comes up an it says some kind of error on start-up and to press f1 to reboot. It always reboots fine and opens my desktop after I press f1.

Now should I go through my 1000+ songs and narrow it down by deleting and reinstalling them. Then delete that song? Or is there a fix I need as well as the song being deleted.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

We need the exact text of the error message you see at boot.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

That sounds like something wrong in hardware settings and a component not properly recognized.
    I would enter the bios ( tap F2 continuously after pressing power button until you enter setup) and then reset optimum defaults but I also wonder if that isn't a virus or spyware also on one of the files .

4. slayerrulz

Main processor: amd athlon (tm) 64 x2 dual core processor 5600+
    Memory testing: 3079168k ok+ 64m shared memory (Installed memory: 3145728k)
    SATA 0 :samsung hd501lj cr100-12
    SATA 1 :pBDS DVD+/-RW DH- 16w1s 2d14
    SATA 2 :none
    SATA 3 :none
    Diskette drive 0 seek failure

strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility
    11/09/2007- 1.0.7

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

The problem is with your floppy drive. Does your computer have a floppy drive? If not you need to press F2 to enter the setup utility and disable the floppy drive by setting it to None or Disabled.

6. JackDogg

JackDogg

i used to get an error message "Press F1 to continue" displayed on my first boot screen. the error was due to the floppy's power connector from the PSU not having a good fit into the back of the floppy drive (its a sensitive fit). to avoid that F1 error message, i have to angle the floppy power lead upwards a bit where it connects to the floppy.

check all your power and cable connections.......

7. slayerrulz

Thank you all, the problem is fixed.
    I disabled the floppy drive, and that solved the problem. I don't have any floppy disk drive on the computer, only CD drive, so it (Floppy Drive) is of no use to me anyhow I suspect.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great you can mark this solved then in "thread tools" at top of post.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Great, I din't think that Dell model had a floppy/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/693760