1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I have to restart explorer every time I reboot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bcaldoc, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcaldoc

bcaldoc Thread Starter

A little while ago I had a black screen problem after rebooting, which was solved on this forum by restarting explorer through the task manager. This is happening everytime I reboot (updates etc). Is this fixable? Running Windows 8, latest version on an Acer Aspire laptop.
    Thanks

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Does that mean that you are running W8 with all updates or does it mean that you have upgraded to W8.1...?

T.

3. bcaldoc

bcaldoc Thread Starter

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

5. bcaldoc

bcaldoc Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2365M CPU @ 1.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3909 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1826 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 459621 MB, Free - 375445 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Mimic
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Thanks for helping out

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

I am going to suggest a possible "fix". However, this is not something that I would normally advise. The "Black Screen" event has been reported numerous times by Acer Aspire users and the "fix" as described below seems to fix the problem in most cases.

:eek: ......... WARNING - You do this at your own risk ....... .. :eek:

1. Switch the laptop ON
    2. Switch the charger OFF at the wall socket and remove the charger cable from the laptop
    3. With the laptop still switched ON, remove the battery
    4. Wait 10 minutes
    5. Replace the battery
    6. Restart

Please post back and advise as to whether you tried the above and if you did, did it work?

T.

7. bcaldoc

bcaldoc Thread Starter

Well you have me worried, just exactly what is the risk? After all the black screen problem is fixable each time and I can easily limit my reboots. Do I risk losing all data on the computer?

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

The risks are minimal.... BUT.... when one advises someone to try something, there is a responsibility to also warn that person, if there are risks involved. Am I being over-cautious? Perhaps, but I have no idea of your technical experience and whether you are aware of the risks in any given procedure.

Computers in general, most software and all Operating Systems (including Windows) like to be started and stopped in an orderly manner as designed by the manufacturer. Removing the battery while the machine is switched ON, is not an orderly manner of doing things.

By doing this could you lose your data? You could, but that would be most unfortunate - possible but highly unlikely. In any case you should have a tried and tested backup of your data, so that should not be a deciding factor.

Could you damage the laptop hardware? I have never seen that happen, but I also would not like to say it is impossible. If I was doing this, then the answer is NO..... because I know how to remove the battery without causing static or arc-over.

If this was my laptop would I try this possible "fix". Almost certainly YES. But then I would have backups of my data, an image of the hard drive, a spare hard drive in case the HDD was damaged and I would take the necessary precautions.

But only you can make this type of decision for your laptop.

T.

9. bcaldoc

bcaldoc Thread Starter

Thanks for the complete reply. I am definitely non tech savvy and do not have backups of my data, an image of the hard drive, nor a spare hard drive in case the HDD is damaged, so I think I will give this a pass at this time. Perhaps I can get my tech savvy son to accomplish this in the future. Thanks so much for your help.

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

You're courting disaster. I'd recommend you find a decent, affordable backup scheme before you do anything else.

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

(y) (y) (y)

12. Tabvla

Tabvla

Microsoft "solved" the Data Backup problem for non-technical users, with File History.

It is beyond my comprehension why anyone would not use File History as (at least part of) a Backup solution. It is simple and inexpensive to setup, works seamlessly in the background, needs almost no user input...... File History is truly one of the little unsung gems in Windows.

T.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice