1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Have TWO (2) "Documents and Settings" folders in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hulk701, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

Hi Gang,

I was researching why it took XP so much longer to do simple tasks that used to be done quickly, like opening files and getting online, when I discovered that I had TWO "Documents and Settings" Folders.

One is inside of the other.

This error probably happened during a reinstall of XP. I have XP sp2.

As you can see from below, the two folders are NOT identical:

[​IMG]

I tried deleting the inner DS (documents and settings) folder. I was successful but after I did I couldn't get online. I restored the folder and tried to delete the outer DS folder. I couldn't do that, Windows wouldn't let me.

What do I do with the second DS folder without screwing up my computer? Can I delete certain files from it? Can I deleter it entirely and try to reestablish and internet connection?

What should I do?

Thanks,

HULK

2. Dochoi

Dochoi

Obviously, The outside one is the orignial DS, and you put the inner one in the wrongly position while you install XP on second time.
    Solution, If it really slow your job, you can backup the files, format the disk, install a fresh copy of XP and restore your files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice