1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I installed XP on a computer that had Vista pre-installed and now I'm stuck...HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JennUSAF, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JennUSAF

JennUSAF Thread Starter

Okay, I pretty much screwed myself.

I just bought a computer a couple months ago that came with Vista and was having major problems with the USB ports (it wouldn't even read my brand-new IPOD), and I read somewhere that i could install XP on a computer like mine...and I did just that. The instructions said to create a partition so I did that, and then I installed XP. Now I can't access any of my programs, my drivers don't work, and I don't have a recovery disc nor did my computer come with a Vista DVD with which to re-install Vista with. I went from bad to worse.

I would much rather just deal with the USB problem than what I have now, and I have a warranty so I would like to take it back, but my problem is, how do I put Vista back? How can I delete XP?? I tried going through the BIOS and I don't see anything that can help me.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally desperate. Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you removed the Vista recovery partition, you will need to buy a new copy of the recovery CD's from the manufacturer.

But what is on the drive now? Do you still have the recovery partition?

If you return it the way it is, they will know what you did. But if you wipe the drive clean and it doesn't boot, you then have a reason to return it. :D

3. JennUSAF

JennUSAF Thread Starter

I still see the C: drive and when I searched for Vista anything I got some files and I'm guessing Vista is still on the hard drive but I'm not sure. I delete any partitions at all. XP is on an E: drive I believe. My computer is an HP so I will contact them tomorrow and ask for a Vista CD.

If I wipe the hard drive will it get rid of XP? How would I go about doing that?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

5. JennUSAF

JennUSAF Thread Starter

Okay, so my only alternative is to request a Vista CD and re-install?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That depends what is on the drive. If your backup partition is still there, I found a possible method of accessing it the other day. Rather than going through the extra step of checking to see if it is there, we may as well go directly to the step of trying to access it.

You'll need a machine that can burn CD's. Download:

SGD Boot Disk - This zip file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more.

Unzip the file, burn the iso to CD, and boot your machine with it. There are many menus, so go through them (reboot if you get lost) and find where the partitions on your drive are listed. If you see one labelled "Vista Recovery Partition", choose that and boot to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Write ISO Files To CD

Free ISO burning apps:

Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.)
    [email protected] ISO Burner
    EasyISO
    BurnISO
    ISOBurn
    ISO Recorder for XP (Uses XP's burner and adds context menu - Vista version also available.)

7. Jase78

Jase78

i had bought a HP desktop PC with vista pre-installed, and then installed xp over it...now that i'm trying to go back to vista the F11 option isn't working, the recover or H:RECOVERY partition is still intact but i can't access it.... any ideas how to get vista back on the pc? ty in advance:eek:

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you read post #6?

Please start your own thread for your own problem.

9. Jase78

Jase78

yes i did, i am working on the iso now, i just didn't know if maybe there was a less complicated way since i'm so blonde...lol i probably should have just left it alone in the first place...but i will try #6 and see if i can fuddle my way through it(y) same problem as Jenn i guess i just worded it different, my bad guys sorry

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck and let us know. But even if the same problem, hijacking another thread is to be discouraged. It makes it confusing and people won't be able to solve problems efficiently.

If you think referring to another thread is helpful, just link to it in your own.

11. Jase78

Jase78

sorry bout that, im new to posting on forums and such..but i won't hijack again :cool:

12. JennUSAF

JennUSAF Thread Starter

Yeah that is the same problem as mine! I just ordered the Vista recovery CD from HP so we'll what happens!

13. JennUSAF

JennUSAF Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice! You are so helpful!!!

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Going to try it? The CD will be handy to keep around. It may help you or others in the future since it has so many features. But by far the best feature is its ability to boot any bootable partition, with or without the Master Boot Record. It can get you into an otherwise "dead" machine, whether Windows, Linux, or some other OS.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice