1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Just Can't Make My 250gig Hd Run Above 111gb

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by juanmm_2, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. juanmm_2

juanmm_2 Thread Starter

Hy Everybody,

I Just Bought A 250gig Sata Hard Disk That Didn't Came With An Installation Program. So I Downloaded From Viatech.com The Raid Controller Driver That Supports My Motherboard Sata And It Did Worked But Winxp Only Gives Me 111 Gigs Not 250gig.

What Can I Do To Get The Other Gigs Working. Also The Driver That I Install, Has An Application Program But It Also Reports 111gigs. Please Help Me....... Any Help Would Be Appreciated..

2. killah

killah

hope not to sound stupid, but sure its 250gig? whats the manufacturer and model number? i am not suprised that windows did not see the entire drive, but if the application from the manufacturer didnt see it, thats kinda uncommon

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Both your hardware and software must support 48bit addressing to support drives/partitions over 127GB (about 111GB formatted capacity).

If the drive is SATA then I would assume the motherboard supports 48 bit LBA already in which case the problem is very likely the operating system. You must have Service Pack 1, or SP2, installed for 48 bit LBA support in XP.

Then you'll need to repartition the drive to get the full size after installing SP1/SP2.

If the motherboard doesn't see the full 250GB then you would need a BIOS update - again somewhat unlikely if the motherboard supports SATA.

5. juanmm_2

juanmm_2 Thread Starter

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I THINK THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE SP1 NOR SP2 I'LL GET IT A.S.A.P I DON'T THINK I HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS I'M RUNNING A P4 3.0 CPU WITH 1 GIG DDR RAM AND IT'S UPGRADABLE TO 3 GIGS OF RAM I THINK THAT A MOTHERBOARD THAT SUPPORTS THAT IS PREPARE FOR A 250 GIG HARD DRIVE

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You should really slipstream SP2 together with the core files on your XP CD and burn a new XPSP2 CD to do your install.

I use AutoStreamer 1·0, which makes life very easy.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Which is good as long as you plan on doing a format and reinstall of Windows.

You can get SP2 through Windows Update or download the full thing here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

If you do decide to 'slpistream' SP2 onto your Windows XP CD then you'll that download.

Additional if Windows is installed on this 250GB drive then you'll either need to slipstream SP2 onto your Windows CD and reformat and reinstall or use something like Partition Magic to resize the existing partition to the full size.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!