1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I just formatted and i have a question...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ~Michelle~, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Michelle~

~Michelle~ Thread Starter

I have windows 98

I just formatted with the help of Gateway. It now seems to be actually running slower then it did before i formatted.

So I went into System Properties, performance.

Theres 2 messages in the detail box.

The first one says: Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance.

The second one says: Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

Im assuming this is really not right at all?? LOL

Does anyone know whats wrong though? Or how to fix it? I read the details and i dont get it.

Thanks.

2. TOF

TOF

Do you mean you defragged?

Anyways, here is some information about the problem with Windows 95. Windows 98 is much the same.
    Click Here

3. ~Michelle~

No i formatted it.

I was just trying to put everything back on when i noticed that. I will check out that link you gave me.

Thanks.

4. ~Michelle~

Well the info in that link didnt help me.

Any other advice?

Thanks.

5. johnni

johnni

I had a similar problem earlier this year after I formatted and reinstalled ME, with the MS-DOS compatibility mode warning.
    I suggest you right-click My Computer, Properties, Device Manager and see if any yellow icons are displayed alongside any of the components, and click all the + boxes while you're at it. In my case there was a problem with SCSI Controllers, Promise Ultra IDE Controller; by clicking it and opening the Drivers tab I was able to search for (within Windows) and install a new driver (I may even have logged-on to the Promise website to do this - I can't remember).
    Anyway, look first for the yellow warning icons.

johnni

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!