I just purchased a Dell Optiplex GX260....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Persephone

Now, here is the question....

Oh, btw..HI!!!!!:)

Ok, I have this computer, now, I am planning on making some *serious* upgrades for it..I am just now starting t work and I'll have the cash, I am hoping by 1st of next month, anyway.....

I need to get to the inside of it, and I am very computer literate, HOWEVER, I have tried and tried and tried to get the BLASTED cover off of the thing:mad:

I have looked and relooked over the manual for it and either I am having a brain 'fart' or I am just plain DENSE:mad:

Can somebody break this down for me...REAL SIMPLE LIKE?!?!?!?:eek:

Thanks!!!!!
Persephone

It would probably be more cost effective to get a newer PC than try to upgrade that Dell.
Very old PC.

Persephone

Hey, madkiller, the top pic is it.....ca n ya help me out!?!??!

Thanks!!!!!

Lister, I am getting ALL my parts via Ebay and I gotta tell you, they have some dandy deals...so, after I start working I am going to upgrade this one as needed, in fact, this com,puter is pretty much going to be a backup in case my current one ever dies on me!!!!!:rolleyes:

Well form getting info off my mothers computer there should be a little blacks thing shaped as a L on the back of the case (where the power, keyboard, mouse goes in) and push the L shaped thing DOWN and then slide the side of the case off while holding the black L down.

On some Optiplexes, yes, but my 160L had that case, but also had the thumb screws along the back right edge. And there is yet a THIRD wide case that has a button latch on the top rear that opens the beastie up like a clam shell. Yay Dell... oy...

What you have is this...

Manufacturer : Dell
Model : OptiPlex GX260
Standard Memory : 128 MB
Number of sockets for upgrade : 2
Maximum amount of memory : 2.0 GB
Memory must be installed in set(s) of : 1
Bus Type : PCI/AGP
HardDisk Bustype : Ultra ATA/100
CPU : 1.8 GHz - 3.06 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or 1.7 GHz - 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron
Model Comments : 400/533 MHz FSB, Intel 845G Chipset
Native OS : Windows 2000 Professional / Windows XP

And disreguard the nay-sayers. I purchased my OptiPlex 160L specifically to gut, upgrade and turn it into my television's internet feeding monster, which it does quite nicely. And since I'm seeing 2 1GB PC3200 RAMs going for between $60 and $80 online (ref - MicroCenter), it's relatively inexpencive to upgrade that part to its max. Just keep it as an XP machine.

Good Luck!

A-N

Persephone

Thanks everyone!!!!:)

That is my thought exactly A-N...I got it to upgrade the HDD, the RAM and maybe the video card and use it for XP and my WAH jobs....:)

Mine does indeed have the button on the top rear of the unit, but, when I go to "break" it open, there is this "ring" around where the kb, mouse and all that is as well:eek: Maybe I need t push on the button AND hold the "ring" around the I/O areas?!?!?!?

I'll try everyones' suggests and see what happens!!!!!(y)

Thanks much!!!
Persy....

valis

the ring is comprised of two parts; it's a locking mechanism actually designed for a small padlock, believe it or not, or a leash. Slide them apart, then push in on the gray parts on the top and bottom of the case and prise it open; it vastly easier to do this with the case laying on it's side.

Persephone

Hey, valis, I JUST now noticed the button on the BOTTOM of the DANGED thing!!!!!

And that "ring" is a MAJOR pain in the A$$!!!!!!!!:mad:

Anyway..yooo!!!! hoo!!! I got it open-FINALLY!!!!!

So, I am off to see what 'goodies' I can get for my new toy!!!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks SOOOOO much everybody!!!!!

P.......

valis

no worries......that's was the machine of choice at my company for about forever, so yeah, I got pretty adept at opening them.

And I got the scars to prove it. Have fun reaching in there, as it won't open to full vertical. It's about the stupidest case design I've ever seen, but what do you do.......I've actually taken a saws-all to about 20-30 of those to replace the PSU's, because they used proprietary PSU's that had the cord outlet on the bottom, as opposed to the top.

:)

valis

slick, a-n......

yeah, a clamshell desktop wasn't exactly the brightest thing dell ever pushed out......:rolleyes:

If you have any other GX260 questions -- here is a site for you: http://www.coyotetale.net/1sand0s/dellgx260/index.htm
I have a GX260 at my business that I just moved home until we relocate it at the new shop, and even though I saw the button on the top -- I've never had to open it up! (until today, to clean out the dust) This site has a "complete" user manual. I didn't check Dell out, but when I Googled the user manual, this was at the top. The GX260 is old, but with a memory upgrade, it works OK. It's even running Windows 2000 Professional still! :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts