1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I just reformatted and I have no ethernet driver and no internet to get one? help me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockitlikenasa, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockitlikenasa

rockitlikenasa Thread Starter

I just reformatted my computer and I was going to do my windows updates but my computer will not connect to the internet. I check under device manager to find that my ethernet controller has no driver. What should I do to get a new driver considering I cannot connect to the internet. I am new to reformatting and now I am stuck not knowing what to do. There are a few other things under my "other devices" in the device manager that do not have drivers as well, but I figure if the ethernet works i can get those from the internet. Please help me in solving this problem.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Name brand of computer?

Model of computer?

Service Tag (if it's a Dell)?

3. markomus

markomus

You could download the driver on whatever computer you're using right now, burn it to a CD or DVD or save it to a flash drive and then upload it to your other computer.

4. jimbo5466

jimbo5466

try using the manifactures cds or with internet use the cds the isp provides

5. rockitlikenasa

rockitlikenasa Thread Starter

i have a dell xps400. i dont know where to get the service number? i used the windows cds from dell to reformat and they didnt install the driver and they werent found by the computer on the cds when i tried to load them from the cd.

6. brite750

brite750

well we could use some info, d/l this program
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html
    put it on a cd and install on the Dell, I'm thinking you didnt do the restore completely because I would think all your MB, sound, network stuff would have been installed at the same time.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can go here to download any drivers for your machine

8. markomus

markomus

Wow! Good idea, Mar Komus! Hope it works! ;)

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Dell doesn'rt furnish system recovery CDs. They furnish a Dell branded copy of Windows (loads on any Dell without a product key) and a separate driver disk.

10. Fishpan

Fishpan

All Dells usually have the service tag near the top of the chassis on a small, black label (if its a desktop) - this is very helpful in locating drivers and other software. If only other computer manufacturers had the same, fast technique in locating such information - then we can have peace of mind. :)

11. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hi,

All we need is your motherboard model, then you download your chipset drivers from another computer then burn to a CD or transfer to a USB flash drive and then install on your non-internet computer.

Hey-presto, job done!

Nick.

12. markomus

markomus

Brilliant!!!

13. markomus

markomus

And you, too, Mar Komus! Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for chiming in! ;)

Perhaps that should read, "You could download the NEEDED driver USING whatever computer..."

14. ryanclemson

ryanclemson

Your service tag should be viewable in BIOS.

15. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Aren't you a clever sod.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/611985