1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I just wanna sleep... my computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wish i had a mac, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wish i had a mac

wish i had a mac Thread Starter

Windows XP Pro user here. :( For some reason I can't put my computer into standby. When I click on the standby button, it behaves for a few seconds as though it's about to comply, but then-- every time-- it brings up a popup message telling me something like: The Microsoft Natural PS/2 keyboard device driver is preventing the computer from entering standby, bla bla bla.:mad: What?! Huh?! I uh, I don't know why the keyboard driver would prevent standby, but I just want you to know, I have a Logitech plug 'n' play type keyboard that's supposed to just work with Windows, no tinkering or driver installing... So, as a result... I don't have a driver installed! How can some phantom keyboard driver that's not supposed exist in the first place prevent my comp from entering standby, a process that's got nothing to do with my keyboard anyway?!
    A little help here?

2. wish i had a mac

I have a Logitech Office Comfort keyboard.

3. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

1) Is the keyboard PS/2 or USB?
    2) If you really want to put your computer to sleep, [I.E. euthanize] I recommend a bucket of water. :p

4. Digidave

Digidave

Let me start out by saying that I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I do know that any device you connect to your computer needs some sort of driver to help it "Talk" to the computer. If you didn't install one then it needs to use Microsoft's built in driver, otherwise your computer wouldn't be able comprehend what the keyboard or mouse was doing.

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well that driver is the generic universal keyboard driver built into windows to detect keyboards. Try reinstalling the keyboard from device manager, rebooting the pc, and then see if there is a improvement. Could also be the fact that the pc has not rebooted in a while and a reboot or better yet, a complete power off/on would help possibly too.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Standby and Hibernate modes are optimised for laptop hardware, only if you are lucky will all the desktop hardware and drivers reliably work with it.

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

However, in windows that is a generic driver and it does not matter wether its laptop or desktop, that driver is in there.

8. wish i had a mac

9. wish i had a mac

Maybe I just won't bother with it...:eek:

10. hewee

hewee

Do you have a KMV switch the keyboard, mouse, monitor is hooked tru because that may be why.

11. wish i had a mac

I don't know what that is, but the keyboard is plugged directly into the computer.

12. hewee

hewee

A KMV KMV switch is so you can use the same keyboard, mouse, monitor on more then one computer.
    But if your all hooked to one computer your not using one.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!