1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I keep getting "sorry for the inconvenience" error message at start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brucegriffin, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brucegriffin

brucegriffin Thread Starter

Hi:
    Im new to Tech Support Guy and a technophobe. Thanx in advance for any help you can give me. Please be gentle!

My wife has a 5 year old Toshiba laptop with an XP OS. Over the years , she has updated and downloaded the various service packs from Microsoft. Last night , while watching You Tube, my daughter noticed an error message on the screen (she's 11 years old, and she can't remember exactly what the message said). She turned the computer off properly . Now, when I try to start the computer, it goes to the "sorry for any inconvenience" page.Whichever method I choose to boot- safe mode , networking etc- it goes to the Toshiba logo screen and then goes right back to the "sorry for any convenience screen".

I tried booting from the "Terca" start-up CD but was informed that if I did this I would lose all the files on the laptop's hard drive. Yikes!! I went to the Toshiba "help" website but found nomanswers to my problem.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you

sincerely Bruce in Dorset/UK

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Are you able to boot to safe command prompt?

3. brucegriffin

brucegriffin Thread Starter

Hi:
    No..no matter what mode I try to use to boot, the Toshiba screen comes up and then. in dos-type script, I get the "Sorry for the Inconvenience" message.

thanx Bruce in Dorset

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What is the exact error message? You may have to take the hard drive out, find an adapter for it, and connect it to a desktop machine in order to save any important files.

5. MrBruce

MrBruce

Perhaps you should scan the hard drive with a virus scanner in DOS to see if you have a virus or trojan infection. Hope this helps.

6. Xw__A__D__eX

Xw__A__D__eX

hi, this happened to my moms computer too, would someone plz do a discriptive walk through of wat to do. My mom owns her own bussiness and we need to figure this out QUICK!!! :D

thx WADE

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Wade and Welcome,
    It's OK for you to follow progress in this thread but to get help for your mom please start your own thread. Otherwise it gets really confusing trying to deal with two peoples similar problem in one thread - no one knows who's talking to whom eventually.

OK? Thanks
    Richard.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice