1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I keep getting there is not enought memory available to run this program.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jabuehle2, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabuehle2

jabuehle2 Thread Starter

Hi,

I just bought a 1.4 athlon thunderbird processor, a dfi am-75 tc board, with a 30 gig western digital hard drive partioned 4 gig for a system, with a gig of SDRAM, and 26 for games. I just recently put a fresh 98SE install on my new computer.

Currently all I got on the config.sys is
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe,
    and on my autoexec.bat
    has nothing on it.

All of my programs that are not ms-dos based run like the wind, but the ms-dos programs end up on the same old thing. I cant even run the ms-dos prompt off of the start menu without it coming up. :confused:

What am I doing wrong.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In order to get that gig of ram to perform, you will probably have to put a MaxFileCache entry under Vcache in system.ini

It should be 524288 (or less!)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q253912

You can test the issue right off the bat by running msconfig and clicking on Advanced. Limit the memory windows uses to less than 512mb

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice