1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I keep losing my connection

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zeldazme, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeldazme

zeldazme Thread Starter

:eek: I am running a 500Mhz Intel Pentium 3 computer with 256 MB of RAM.Oh and I have it set up for WIN98SE. My internet connection is a dial-up USR 56K V92 modem, relatively new. I've had many problems with my computer over the last year and managed to work them all out with the help of kind people (yourselves)and dogged perserverance on my part. I seemed to have everything operating smoothly except for now my modem connects me to the internet but after being online for ten or more minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, I lose my connection. I've never had this problem before and I'm guessing that one of the settings isn't right but I can't figure out where the problem is. The dialog box contained these two lines under details: TCIP and Handshake protocol. Can somebody tell me what the problem is?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. zeldazme

zeldazme Thread Starter

Both scans came back clear of viruses. I'm still thinking settings. But I don't know. Everything else seems fine. I've defragged, scan disked, system file checked, de spywared, de adwared, run all the checks suggested and I can't get a handle on the problem. I did read a forum on a different site by a guy who had the same problem. Our systems were entirely different but he's having the same problem with disconnections. I read eleven threads of his and tried the same things he did and neither one of us has solved our dilema yet. Somebody out there must have the answer. If you do, please take a moment and help a fellow computer geek fix this problem. I will sing your praises to all forever if you can help me figure out why I can't maintain my internet connection. And I have Verizon for my IP and I doubt my IP is the problem. HELP!!!

4. golferbob

golferbob

my isp gave me this tip a while back ,you might want to try it. goto start-settings-control panel-modem-properities-connection-advanced. in the extra setting box type in.

S10=50

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your ISP detects inactivity, it may disconnect you.

You should disable the settings that tells your computer to disconnect after so many minutes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice