1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I killed MSConfig

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lmbinc, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lmbinc

lmbinc Thread Starter

I have a two year old HP desktop computer. Someone was yelling at me tonight that I had to clean up MSC onfig - which was obviously a real problem. I don't like to touch it, but I did. Now the computer won't start. It does actually start - you can see it go through the boot process - however I get to the point where it says "Start in Recovery Mode" or "Start in Normal Mode" I select normal - but it just comes back to this screen. I've tried recovery, but it's not a hardware issue - and it's checked the harddrive memory, etc. I know it's msconfig - but have no idea now how or what to fix. Can anyone offer any suggestions - I'm really upset at this point. Thanks!

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

to my knowledge simply playing msconfig wont do something like this... try booting in safemode.... press F8 when the computer is starting and before the windows screen then select safe mode with networking

3. dukevyner

dukevyner

also if you were trying to "clean up" i'd recommend ccleaner... its much more user friendly and you can mess up

4. lmbinc

lmbinc Thread Starter

I actually cant get to safe mode. I only get the choice launch startup repair or normally - which it won't - it just bring me back to this screen. I can't get to the windows screen & pressing F8 just brings me to the same question screen. Sorry to be such a pest.

5. dukevyner

dukevyner

as soon as you power on the pc keep tapping the F8 button.. and its not a problem this is what we do here solve peoples problems

6. dukevyner

dukevyner

if you get it to boot let me know i can probably help you with the rest

7. lmbinc

lmbinc Thread Starter

I don't know if you are around, but I did get it to boot into safe mode w/ networking - I tried to reset MSConfig - but it still isn't working correctly. If you can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it.

8. dukevyner

dukevyner

what do you mean reset MSConfig?

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You never were specific as to what you did in the System Configuration window and if was in the General or Boot or Startup or Services or Tools tab(s).

Select the Services tab, then make sure "Hide all Microsoft services" is NOT checked, then make sure ALL service entries are checked, then click Apply.

Restart the computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

10. lmbinc

lmbinc Thread Starter

A friend came over & discovered we had a power surge. He fixed the problem. Thanks so very much for all of your assistance.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!