1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I knew it was too good to last......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lisakmusco, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisakmusco

lisakmusco Thread Starter

Note: this could belong in the games forum, but I'm not positive.

Built a new system (see below #1), with lots of advice from you guys and for the first week or so, hubby was extremely pleased with how it ran and played his RCT3 game.

Now, all of a sudden he says it is just as slow and stuttery as the old system and the game crashed tonight, losing hours worth of building. Nothing has been done to the computer, except we disconnected everything and rearranged the room -- twice. What could possibly be wrong?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Lisa did the problem start right after you moved the system?

I assume you have reseated all connections; atx, power, ide / sata.

3. lisakmusco

Yes, yesterday was the first he'd played since the first move, and he mentioned it then, but then we rearranged and rewired everything again last night, and tonight he says its even worse. Because I disconnected everything, I would say yes to reseating all the connections, unless you mean inside the case. That I haven't done. And actually, as I think about it right now, I did not totally disconnect everything last night -- just kind of unplugged them from the UPS and slid it around on the floor as we shifted the desk around.
    Will give that a try, and I'm thinking maybe I need to open it up and check everything inside, plus blowing some air in there probably wouldn't hurt.....right?

4. lisakmusco

Here's the error message from when his game crashed earlier:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 4/11/2007
    Time: 7:55:22 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EDDIE
    Description:
    Faulting application rct3plus.exe, version 3.2.8.13, faulting module rct3plus.exe, version 3.2.8.13, fault address 0x004bcfa4.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 72 63 74 ure rct
    0018: 33 70 6c 75 73 2e 65 78 3plus.ex
    0020: 65 20 33 2e 32 2e 38 2e e 3.2.8.
    0028: 31 33 20 69 6e 20 72 63 13 in rc
    0030: 74 33 70 6c 75 73 2e 65 t3plus.e
    0038: 78 65 20 33 2e 32 2e 38 xe 3.2.8
    0040: 2e 31 33 20 61 74 20 6f .13 at o
    0048: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
    0050: 34 62 63 66 61 34 0d 0a 4bcfa4..

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and go ahead and reseat all connections. After you have finished reseating everything, leave the case open and do whatever causes problems. If it runs fine, then close the case and repeat the problem app. If it again crashes, you may have an overheating problem.

6. lisakmusco

Well, the adapter between the video card and the cable going to the KVM switch was a little loose (though the cable going from the switch into the adapter was tight). I opened up the case and pushed on everything and blew some air in. I also defragged the harddrive (though it hardly needed that -- it was just reformatted when I built the new system last month). I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see if hubby says it helped at all.

If it is overheating, how would I know? How can I find that out (temperatures) without going out of windows? What should the temperatures be? Since you mentioned overheating, you got me thinking: the computer is now sitting a bit more enclosed than it was initially -- specifically the side of the case with the vent on it has a lot less open space next to it, but it is not blocked entirely -- could that have that much of an effect? The back is still more open and has a large fan.

Should I enable Cool 'n Quiet? (I've seen this utility mentioned but am not sure how to use it?)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I always disable C&Q on an amd build. You can use something like speedfan to monitor temps from within windows. Note speedfan is an excellent app however do verify the displayed temps with your bios temps.

A real quick way to check for an overheating problem is to just pull the side cover and place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. If the problem stops, you have found overheating to be the cause.

8. lisakmusco

While I was checking the connections last night I was reminded of a question I wanted to ask at the time when I was building the system...

The PS has a connector that is labeled PCI-Express. I did not see any place to connect it to. Is that supposed to be connected somewhere? or is that just an available connector for another type of PCI-E card but not applicable to the one I have (my video card)?
    There were also a couple of other cables/connectors that came in the box with the MB/CPU bundle that I didn't seem to need either. I assumed they were for more advanced builds than I have. This one is especially simple 'cause hubby won't believe that other things on the computer aren't detracting from his game performance, and he only plays alone (no online gaming).

9. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

swap graphics cards. and start troubleshooting backwards. also check that the ram is compatiable wit the mother and x2. power supply seens enoght. some x2's arent compathable with 800. but it proabaily wouldnt boot. its all about the graphics card.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes the pci-e connector is for connecting to high end video cards that require extra power. Many pci-e cards do not have this connection.

11. lisakmusco

ok - I installed SpeedFan, but am not sure what I am looking at. What is too warm?
    I've attached a screenprint of the Speedfan window. It's been running for a few minutes now.

I also remembered that the fan had a switch attached to it with L-M-H settings. It came preset on low -- I moved it up to Medium. Gonna try moving it up to high and seeing if it changes anything. Had hubby try playing with it on medium, but it didn't seem to help. I don't have a small deskfan to point at the case.

Attached Files:

12. lisakmusco

So, I've been running speedfan now for a couple hours, and it appears that the temp is staying steady around 35-36 degrees. I have turned up the fan to high as I mentioned before. I've also been watching the temperature of the video card (from in the Catalyst Control Center) and it stays in the mid 50's until I toggle over to the game and play for a bit. When I toggle back to windows I can see that the video card's temp has in some cases jumped up into the mid-high 70s, sometimes only the 60s. It usually drops down quickly, but obviously this could be an issue as I am only playing for minutes at a time, whereas hubby will play for hours. So, how do I get the video card to stay cooler?

13. lisakmusco

So, while I wait for a reply, I've been checking into this on the video card manuf (Sapphire) site, and it was suggested that the power supply is not sufficient for this card.... something about needing 25A+ on the 12v rail. I don't know what that means. I thought I just had to worry about the wattage -- and we measured that as sufficient before I bought it. I'm trying to find more specs on the unit I have on the Antec site because the documentation I have doesn't say much about the PS, since it came with the case. Assuming that is true, what would that have to do with performance slowly getting worse? And would that have anything to do with the card overheating?

I could be wrong, but I think we may be onto something with the temperature readings I was getting on the card -- cause someone there also said temps over 70 are potentially hamful, and if I was getting readings in the 70s with minutes worth of playing, I can only imagine what prolonged high temps that card was being subjected to with him playing for hours at a time. And those temps are with the fan on high, which I really would like to turn back down to medium 'cause it is loud on high.

14. lisakmusco

Still reading......would it help to add a fan to the case? It has two optional places for additional fans.

15. lisakmusco

No suggestions/answers??.......its been a week.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice